Trump's "slenderizing" ties
In his book, "Let Me Finish," Chris Christie answers a question about Donald Trump that has long perplexed me: Why are his ties so ridiculously long?
What he's saying: Christie, who was the first high-profile Republican elected official to endorse Trump's 2016 campaign, describes what Trump was like backstage before rallies. "Donald choreographed every last detail...he produced me, too, or tried to," Christie writes.
- 'I want your tie to be longer,' he said. 'It's slenderizing.'
- 'I'm not retying my tie,' I told him. 'My tie is fine. I think yours is too long.'
- 'No, no,' he shot back at me. 'Mine is the perfect length. It makes you look thinner.'
Bonus: Christie describes a completely bonkers scene from Trump's 2016 debate prep. General Michael Flynn, whom Christie describes as "a train wreck from beginning to end," suggested that Trump pivot back to being pro-choice to "knock Clinton off guard."
- "No sir," interjected Kellyanne Conway, according to Christie. "That's not a good thing to do."
- Our thought bubble: Had Trump followed Flynn's advice, we would now be writing about President Hillary Clinton. Trump would've still achieved a record evangelical vote in 2016 — but instead of a record high, it would've been a record low for a Republican.
Go deeper ... Trump 101: He is definitely not a health nut