Move in, get paid
Smallish towns and states, hollowed out by demographics and urbanization, are not giving up: they are gathering together local dollars in what amount to signing bonuses to move.
- And St. Clair County, MI (pictured above), is offering $15,000 if you earned a STEM degree in the last 10 years, reports Linkedin's Chip Cutter.
- Randy Maiers, who directs the foundation overseeing the St. Clair program, tells Axios that he doesn't feel he is in competition with other places also seeking new residents. "This is a 'come home' award primarily for people with family ties to our region," he said.
Those who have already availed of the St. Clair grants: "a teacher, a veterinarian, a speech pathologist and a medical laboratory scientist," Cutter writes. Other places also in the race for newcomers, Cutter says:
- North Platte, Neb. ($30,000 if you are a diesel electrician.)
- Marne, Iowa (free land for a home.)
- Grant County, Ind. ($5,000 toward a new home.)