The drug companies that rang in 2018 with price hikes
A handful of drug companies rang in 2018 with price hikes that easily surpass inflation but stay conspicuously below double digits. Investment banks Jefferies and Cowen highlighted some of the big ones (listed below the fold).
Some of the drug companies raising prices:
- AbbVie's blockbuster Humira: 9.7%
- Amgen's arthritis medicine Enbrel: 9.7%
- Allergan's dry eye drug Restasis: 9.5%
- Insys Therapeutics' opioid spray Subsys: 9.5%
- Biogen's multiple sclerosis drug Tecfidera: 8%
But wait, there's more: Cowen conducted a survey of large drug purchasers, and most said drug prices will continue to rise. More than three-quarters of respondents also said there's almost no chance U.S. drug price controls will occur in the next three years.