Senate releases tax proposal
The Senate tax proposal is out, along with a Joint Committee on Taxation analysis estimating it will add $1.495 trillion to the deficit over the next decade.
What we're watching: Member reaction. The Senate can only afford to lose two GOP votes to pass the bill.
- 7 income tax brackets: 10, 12, 22.5, 25, 32.5, 35, and 38.5 percent
- Repeal of personal exemption
- $1,650 child tax credit
- Repeal of deduction for state and local taxes
- Pass throughs: An individual taxpayer can deduct 17.4 percent of domestic qualified business income from a partnership, S corporation or sole proprietorship. Most service businesses are excluded.
- 20 percent corporate rate beginning in 2019
- Repatriation rates of 5 percent for illiquid assets, 10 percent for liquid