Photo by Robert Nickelsberg/Getty Images
Since the Columbine High School massacre set off a nationwide moral panic in 1999, there have been 10 school shootings in which five or more people were killed.
The big picture: Including the death or suicide of the perpetrators, the mass shootings have resulted in 128 fatalities.
These are the 10 deadliest school shootings since Columbine (15 deaths):
- 2007 Virginia Tech University, Blacksburg, Va. — 33 deaths
- 2012 Sandy Hook Elementary School, Newtown, Conn. — 27 deaths
- 2018 Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, Parkland, Fla. — 17 deaths
- 2015 Umpqua Community College, Roseburg, Ore. — 10 deaths
- 2018 Santa Fe High School, Santa Fe, Tex. — 10 deaths
- 2005 Red Lake Senior High School, Red Lake, Minn. — 7 deaths
- 2012 Oikos University, Oakland, Calif. — 7 deaths
- 2006 West Nickel Mines School, Bart Township, Penn. — 6 deaths
- 2008 Northern Illinois University, Dekalb, Ill. — 6 deaths
- 2014 Marysville Pilchuck High School, Marysville, Wa. — 5 deaths
This story has been updated to reflect the shooting at Santa Fe High School. Numbers compiled by Axios.