Updated May 26, 2018

Women of color have been saying #MeToo for decades

Bill Cosby accusers Lili Bernard and Caroline Heldman. Photo: Mark Makela/Getty Images

Despite decades of allegations, men like Bill Cosby and R&B singer R. Kelly have avoided serious consequences for their sexual misconduct — that is, until 2017's #MeToo awakening.

The big picture: For many of the men who were taken down by the movement, it was a long time coming. But women of color in particular have been fighting the #MeToo fight long before it gained international attention.

It's not a new problem

Women of color in the U.S. have been fighting to be heard on sexual assault and harassment for decades.

  • The first show of justice came in Tallahassee, in 1959, when four white men received life sentences after kidnapping and raping Betty Jean Owens. "An all-white jury gave her assailants a life sentence — a historic first that led to other convictions," the Washington Post writes.
  • 1965 was the first time in Mississippi a white man received a life sentence for raping a black woman.

Be smart: 2017 wasn't the beginning of #MeToo.

  • In 2006, Tarana Burke created Me Too to "help survivors of sexual violence, particularly young women of color from low wealth communities."
Flash forward to today

The Cut reported in April that R. Kelly mostly avoided the #MeToo fallout, "despite having been accused of everything from child pornography to running a sex cult over the past 25 years."

In 2005, Andrea Constand reported Bill Cosby for sexual assault to police, per the New York Times. No charges were pursued.

  • 10 years later, the investigation was re-opened and Cosby was arrested. It took three more years for a jury to find Cosby guilty on three counts of assaulting Constand.
  • Around 60 other women alleged sexual harassment, rape, and drugging by Cosby.

The bottom line: WaPo's Karen Attiah told NPR in December: "Part of it, unfortunately, has to do with whether or not we see black women and girls as worthy of care and worthy of protection," and there's "a sense...even when prominent members of our community are in the narrative, that we're...the ones who are lying."

Go deeper

Coronavirus kills 2 Diamond Princess passengers and South Korea sees first death

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. U.S. numbers include Americans extracted from Princess Cruise ship.

Two elderly Diamond Princess passengers have been killed by the novel coronavirus — the first deaths confirmed among the more than 600 infected aboard the cruise ship. South Korea also announced its first death Thursday.

The big picture: COVID-19 has now killed more than 2,200 people and infected over 75,465 others, mostly in mainland China, where the National Health Commission announced 118 new deaths since Thursday.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 6 hours ago - Health

SoftBank to cut its stake to get T-Mobile's Sprint deal done

Illustration: Rebecca Zisser/Axios

T-Mobile and Sprint announced a revised merger agreement that will see SoftBank getting a smaller share of the combined company, while most shareholders will receive the previously agreed upon exchange rate. The companies said they hope to get the deal as early as April 1.

Why it matters: The amended deal reflects the decline in Sprint's business, while leaving most shareholders' stake intact and removing another hurdle to the deal's closure.