Jul 13, 2017

Why private equity isn't challenging Buffett for Oncor

AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

There have been some questions as to why private equity isn't challenging Warren Buffett's bid for electric grid giant Oncor, either on its own or in tandem with Oncor creditor Elliott Management (which says it is seeking financing for a rival bid). Three basic explanations, per private equity sources:

  1. Synergy: Buffett is doing this deal via Berkshire Hathaway Energy, which means he can find strategic synergies that pure financial bidders can't.
  2. History: Texas regulators have blocked Oncor sales twice before, and would take a particularly dim view of private equity getting involved – given its past (disastrous) involvement with Oncor's parent Energy Future Holdings (f.k.a. TXU, subject of both the largest LBO and largest LBO-backed bankruptcy in history).
  3. Size: Even if private equity overcame each of those aforementioned concerns, it may still have difficulty with financing. Buffett is offering around $9 billion in cash, and few private equity firms can afford equity checks in excess of $2 billion (and even that's a stretch). Obviously private equity would want to use leverage, but Oncor already has a ton of that on its balance sheet (although working with Elliott could help lighten that load a bit).

Go deeper

Coronavirus death toll tops 2,000

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's NHC; Note: China refers to mainland China and the Diamond Princess is the cruise ship offshore Yokohama, Japan. Map: Danielle Alberti/Axios

Some economists warn the stock market has been too "complacent" without factoring in the novel coronavirus as a valid risk, although the major averages were broadly lower midday Monday. Apple and Nvidia have issued earnings warnings and multiple conferences and sports events are being canceled or limited in size.

The big picture: COVID-19 has now killed at least 2,009 people and infected more than 75,000 others, mostly in mainland China. 328 American evacuees from the Diamond Princess are in quarantine at U.S. military bases after arriving from Japan, including 14 people who tested positive — making the total number of confirmed cases in the U.S. 29.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 3 mins ago - Health

Sanders requests recount of Iowa recanvass after results show shrunken margin

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images.

Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a statement Tuesday night he will request a recount of the Iowa Democratic Party's recanvass results.

Where it stands: Both Buttigieg and Sanders requested partial recanvasses in Iowa last week after results were delayed and showed several errors following a software malfunction on caucus night.

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.