Photo by Bill Pugliano/Getty Images

Tesla swung to a bigger-than-expected profit loss in the first quarter, while revenue came up short as well, the company said in its quarterly report released late on Wednesday.

Between the lines: After 2 straight quarters of profitability, the company said price cuts on the Model S and Model X contributed to its profit shortfall. Its cash pile also shrunk by $1.5 billion from the prior quarter thanks to a bond repayment and more vehicles than expected in transit — not delivered — to customers.

  • Of note: On a call with analysts, CEO Elon Musk said there is "merit to the idea of raising capital at this point." Previously, Musk had been adamant that the company would not have to raise cash.

Q1 by the numbers:

  • Tesla's adjusted loss per share was $2.90, wider than the $0.69 loss Wall Street was expecting.
  • Sales were $4.5 billion versus the $5.1 billion analysts had forecast.
  • As Tesla announced earlier this month, the company delivered fewer cars during the first quarter than the Street expected.
  • The company reaffirmed its expectation to deliver between 360,000 and 400,000 vehicles this year — citing "strong demand for Model S, X and 3" — and said it would potentially be able to produce 500,000 cars globally. It also said it expects to return to profitability later this year.

Go deeper

Fund managers start to board the stock bandwagon

Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios

Asset managers at major U.S. investment firms are starting to get bullish with their clients, encouraging stock buying and trying not to get left behind right as the metrics on tech stocks rise back to highs not seen since the dot-com crash of 2000.

What's happening: Appetite for stocks is starting to return, but slowly as institutional money managers were overwhelmingly sitting on the sidelines in cash during April and May.

1 hour ago - World

China bans Cruz and Rubio over Xinjiang criticism

Photos: Graeme Jennings/Pool/Getty Images; Al Drago/Pool/Getty Images

China said Monday that it will ban entry to Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) and Ted Cruz (R-Texas) over their criticisms of human rights abuses in Xinjiang, the AP reports.

The big picture: The move seems to be retaliatory after the U.S. announced sanctions on four Chinese officials for human rights abuses against Uighur Muslims and other ethnic minorities in the region last week.

Roger Stone says he plans to campaign for Trump

Roger Stone appears yesterday outside his home in Fort Lauderdale. Photo: Johnny Louis/Getty Images

Roger Stone told Axios in a phone interview that he plans to write and speak for President Trump's re-election now that Stone "won't die in a squalid hellhole of corona-19 virus."

"I'm asthmatic," said Stone, 67. "Sending me to a prison where I could not be socially distanced ... would, I think, be a death sentence."