President Trump's transition team was aware that Michael Flynn was under federal investigation before naming him national security advisor, the New York Times reports.
The investigation was into paid lobbying work Flynn did for Turkey during the presidential campaign. Flynn made a disclosure to Don McGahn, now White House counsel, on January 4 according to the report.
The timeline, based on the reporting
- Nov 18: Trump offers Flynn NSA post
- Jan 4: Flynn discloses he is under federal investigation
- Jan 20: Trump takes office, Flynn becomes NSA
- Jan 26: Sally Yates warns McGahn Flynn could be subject to Russian blackmail
- Feb 13: Flynn dismissed as NSA
Correction: The Times reports that Trump's team was aware of the investigation, not Trump himself.