Dec 8, 2018

Report shows Air Force failed to flag Texas church shooter to FBI six times

Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein brief media on situation with Devin Kelley, November 2017. Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

A government report released this week says that the Air Force missed six total opportunities to notify law enforcement about the man who shot and killed 26 people in a Texas church last year, but should have previously been barred from purchasing firearms due to a domestic violence conviction.

The big picture: The report published by the Department of Defense Office of Inspector General (OIG) says that despite an investigation and ultimate conviction of Devin Kelley for domestic violence, his fingerprints and final disposition report were not submitted to the FBI "at any time." The OIG concludes that "there was no valid reason for the USAF’s failures."

Details: The Air Force failed to submit Kelley's fingerprints to the FBI in accordance with DoD policy four times — June 2011, February 2012, June 2012, and when he was convicted in November 2012. Two times — after his conviction in November, and in December 2012 — the USAF failed to submit his final disposition of the court's findings to the FBI.

Kelley had a history of violence, the OIG report details. His history included reports of Kelley hitting his stepson and choking his wife, dragging her by the hair and waterboarding her, threatening to kill her and himself, sexually assaulting her, and more.

  • The report also details a history of mental illness, which resulted in his admission into the care of the Peak Behavioral Health Services (PBHS). Staff at the facility diagnosed Kelley as having "an adjustment disorder with depressed mood," the OIG reports.
  • A number of other instances after his 2012 conviction are mentioned in the OIG report, including an alleged rape in 2013, an animal cruelty charge by the El Paso County Sheriff's Office in 2014, and a threatening message Kelly sent to his former 49th Logistics Readiness Squadron supervisor on Facebook in 2016 telling her she "should have been put in the ground a long time ago."

The bottom line, per the OIG report: "The USAF’s failure to submit Kelley’s fingerprints and final disposition information allowed Kelley... to purchase four firearms from Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers. Kelley used three of those four firearms on November 5, 2017, to kill 26 people and wound 22 others at the First Baptist Church of Sutherland Springs, Sutherland Springs, Texas."

What's next: The OIG details eight recommendations to the Air Force and Defense Department, including revision of the USAF Records Information Management System, a review of the implementation of formal training programs in regards to collection and submission of fingerprints, possible disciplinary action against those described in the report, and more.

Read the full report here.

Go deeper

Trump administration asks Congress for $2.5 billion to fight coronavirus

President Trump with Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar at the White House in September. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

The Trump administration sent a letter to Congress Monday requesting a funding commitment of at least $2.5 billion to help combat the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Details: The request for a lump sum account for the Department of Health and Human Services includes $1.25 billion in new funds to fight COVID-19 and $535 would come from untouched funds for the Ebola virus.

Go deeperArrow2 hours ago - Health

WHO won't call coronavirus a pandemic as cases spread

Data: The Center for Systems Science and Engineering at Johns Hopkins, the CDC, and China's Health Ministry. Note: China numbers are for the mainland only and U.S. numbers include repatriated citizens.

The World Health Organization will not yet call the coronavirus a pandemic, claiming that needs across affected countries are too varied and the classification would increase fear, per a briefing Monday.

The big picture: As South Korea and Italy stepped up emergency measures in efforts to thwart the spread of the virus, WHO expressed concern about infections with no clear link to China. COVID-19 has killed at least 2,620 people and infected almost 80,000 others, with all but 27 deaths occurring in mainland China.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 4 hours ago - Health

The global scramble to contain the coronavirus

Taking precaution, in the Philippines. Photo: Ezra Acayan/Getty Images

The coronavirus is spreading quickly in cities nowhere near Wuhan, China, and the window to prevent a global pandemic is narrowing.

Zoom in: Here's a look at what comes with a coronavirus outbreak in communities outside China that have been hardest hit so far.

Go deeperArrow4 hours ago - World