Axios Local Expands to Three New Cities
Newsletters launch in Houston, Miami and San Francisco this August
1 big thing: Axios Local will continue its expansion with the launch of three new daily newsletters covering top news in communities across the country.
- Axios San Francisco will launch on August 1, authored by Megan Rose Dickey and Nick Bastone.
- Axios Houston will launch on August 15, authored by Jay Jordan and Shafaq Patel.
- Axios Miami will also launch on August 15, authored by Deirdra Funcheon and Martin Vassolo.
Why it matters: The expansion builds on Axios’ continued investment in the Axios Local footprint, which recently surpassed 1 million subscribers in 24 markets. Designed to provide smart, modern, trustworthy local news to every community in America, Axios Local newsletters:
- Deliver original reporting, scoops and local coverage worthy of readers' time.
- Curate the best in local reporting.
- Maximize Axios’ proven Smart Brevity® style and newsletter format to make readers smarter, faster about the cities where they live.
Get to know the new Axios Local teams:
- Megan Rose Dickey will co-author the Axios San Francisco newsletter alongside earlier hire Nick Bastone. Dickey previously held reporting roles at Protocol, TechCrunch and Business Insider. Bastone joined Axios after the company acquired his newsletter, the SF Minute, in March.
- Jay R. Jordan and Shafaq Patel will write the Axios Houston newsletter. Jordan joins from Chron, a sister site of The Houston Chronicle, where he was an associate editor and reporter. Patel comes from American City Business Journals where she was an economic development, education and DEI reporter.
- Deirdra Funcheon and Martin Vassolo will lead the Axios Miami newsletter. Funcheon was previously a freelance writer, managing editor at New Times and part of the investigative team at Fusion. Vassolo joins from The Miami Herald, where he won a Pulitzer Prize as a local government reporter.
Sign up and find out more about Axios Local here.
Axios is a digital media company delivering trustworthy breaking news and invaluable insights to help readers and viewers get smarter, faster across the topics reshaping our lives in politics, tech, business, media, science and the world. Axios was created around a simple proposition: deliver the cleanest, smartest, most efficient, and trust-worthy experience for readers and advertisers alike.