For immediate release: April 28, 2022
Axios Hires Delano Massey as Managing Editor of Axios Local
Massey joins as Axios Local prepares to launch new markets and expands newsroom
1 big thing: Axios has hired Delano Massey as Managing Editor of Axios Local, continuing the rapid expansion of the Axios Local newsroom.
Why it matters: Massey will lead the Axios Local newsroom alongside Executive Editor Jamie Stockwell as Axios Local adds 14 newsletters in the coming months. Axios has hired nearly 20 journalists to the Axios Local newsroom in 2022.
Get to know Delano Massey and the new Axios Local teams:
- Delano Massey joins from CNN where he led CNN's Race and Equality team, and served as a supervising producer. Massey was previously a deputy news director at the Associated Press in Chicago, Ill., digital director at WEWS in Cleveland, Ohio, and metro editor for the Herald-Leader in Lexington, Ky.
- Annalise Frank, Joe Guillen and Samuel Robinson will author the Axios Detroit newsletter. Frank is a government and business watchdog reporter who came to Axios from Crain’s Detroit Business. Guillen covered Detroit city hall for the Detroit Free Press for four years before moving to the news organization’s investigations team. Robinson joins Axios from MLive where he reported on elections, troubled lawmakers, Michigan’s unique ballot initiative process and Donald Trump’s influence on the state’s Republican party.
- Lucille Sherman and Zachery Eanes will write the Axios Raleigh newsletter. Sherman and Eanes join from The News & Observer. Sherman covered state politics, while Eanes covered technology and startups. Sherman previously worked at GateHouse Media/Gannett as an investigative and data reporter. Eanes also spent time writing about the breakneck Triangle real estate market.
- Karri Peifer and Ned Oliver will author the Axios Richmond newsletter. Prior to this, Peifer held various positions at the Richmond Times-Dispatch and Richmond.com where covered everything from A&E and city policy to real estate, housing, and local businesses. Oliver has been reporting on city and state government in Richmond for 10 years. Before joining Axios, he worked at the Virginia Mercury, a nonprofit newsroom dedicated to state policy coverage.
- Lewis Kamb and Melissa Santos will write the Axios Seattle newsletter. Kamb was previously at the Seattle Times where he was a local watchdog reporter and member of the spotlight team awarded the 2020 Pulitzer Prize in National Reporting. Santos comes to Axios from Crosscut, a nonprofit news website that is a partner of Seattle's PBS station, KCTS 9, where she covered state government and politics.
- Esteban L. Hernandez will co-author Axios Denver alongside John Frank and Alayna Alvarez. He most recently worked at Denverite and for Colorado Public Radio covering local news. Hernadez previously worked at the New Haven Register and Register Citizen in Connecticut.
Sign up for Axios Local, and find out more about Axios Local here.
Axios is a digital media company delivering trustworthy breaking news and invaluable insights to help readers and viewers get smarter, faster across the topics reshaping our lives in politics, tech, business, media, science and the world. Axios was created around a simple proposition: deliver the cleanest, smartest, most efficient, and trust-worthy experience for readers and advertisers alike.