For immediate release: March 16, 2022
Axios Announces Paid Fellowship for Journalists from Underrepresented Backgrounds
Inaugural year-long program to hire four early-career journalists
1 big thing: Axios today announced the Axios Fellowship Program, a year-long paid position for early-career journalists from underrepresented backgrounds.
- The fellowship is aimed at journalists from groups traditionally underrepresented in newsrooms.
- Fellows will work alongside Axios newsroom teams to deepen their knowledge on a specialized skill, including beat reporting, audio editing/production, data visualization and illustration, and learn about the business of media from Axios founders.
- The Axios Fellowship Program will be funded in part by sales of Axios’ forthcoming book on Smart Brevity.
Why it matters: Axios is committed to diversity within its newsroom and the broader news industry. The fellowship is part of Axios’ ongoing investment to support the next generation of diverse voices.
- “Media has a responsibility to accurately provide news, and that requires diverse perspectives at every level in the newsroom,” said Axios editor-in-chief Sara Kehaulani Goo. “The Axios Fellowship Program will be a significant step in elevating individual contributor voices that make our coverage smarter and better. We look forward to working with the next generation of great journalists.”
Go deeper: Axios will hire four journalists for the inaugural fellowship program beginning fall 2022. Fellows will receive:
- Competitive salary and full Axios benefits, including remote work, a $100 monthly work from home stipend, cell phone reimbursement and more.
- Daily hands-on experience writing, reporting or producing Axios content.
- A year-long training curriculum from reporters and editors on source development, beat coverage, newsletter writing, and Smart Brevity.
- Sessions with Axios founders and executives on the business of running a media company in today’s economy.
- Coaching on helpful skills for a career in media, including career coaching, media training and podcast training.
See the full job description and apply for the fellowship here.
Learn more about Axios’ book on Smart Brevity here.
Sign up for Axios newsletters here.
Axios is a digital media company delivering trustworthy breaking news and invaluable insights to help readers and viewers get smarter, faster across the topics reshaping our lives in politics, tech, business, media, science and the world. Axios was created around a simple proposition: deliver the cleanest, smartest, most efficient, and trust-worthy experience for readers and advertisers alike.