Sep 3, 2017

North Korea's most powerful nuclear test yet

Ahn Young-joon / AP

North Korea carried out its sixth nuclear test Saturday night, claiming it had detonated a missile-ready hydrogen bomb. Japanese officials say the blast was ten times as powerful as North Korea's fifth test, in September 2016.

President Trump condemned the test Sunday morning on Twitter: "North Korea has conducted a major Nuclear Test. Their words and actions continue to be very hostile and dangerous to the United States... North Korea is a rogue nation which has become a great threat and embarrassment to China, which is trying to help but with little success... South Korea is finding, as I have told them, that their talk of appeasement with North Korea will not work, they only understand one thing!"

Why it matters: North Korea's capabilities are accelerating rapidly, and President Trump continues to say military options are on the table. Publicly criticizing the strategies of other key players carries risks of its own as the tension continues to rise. Just yesterday, it emerged that Trump was considering ending the U.S./South Korea trade deal.

Go deeper: North Korea's remaining steps; How ready is U.S. to defend itself.

Go deeper

Sanders requests recount of Iowa recanvass after results show shrunken margin

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images.

Sen. Bernie Sanders said in a statement Tuesday night he will request a recount of the Iowa Democratic Party's recanvass results.

Where it stands: Both Buttigieg and Sanders requested partial recanvasses in Iowa last week after results were delayed and showed several errors following a software malfunction on caucus night.

Axios Dashboard

Keep up with breaking news throughout the day — sign up for our alerts.

Energy deputy secretary nominee faces heat after contradicting Trump

Mark Menezes speaks at a forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, June 12. Photo: Minasse Wondimu Hailu/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Trump administration officials are internally raising concerns about President Trump’s nominee for Energy deputy secretary, who appeared to openly contradict the president on nuclear waste storage at Nevada’s Yucca Mountain last week.

Driving the news: While speaking at a House Energy and Commerce subcommittee hearing last Wednesday, Mark Menezes told members of the panel that the Trump administration is still interested in storing nuclear waste at Yucca Mountain and that “what we're trying to do is to put together a process that will give us a path to permanent storage at Yucca."