Good morning! I'm Sam, your new Axios Vitals host. Filling David Nather's shoes will be no easy task, but I'm excited to keep Vitals charging ahead, and to make sure it's a smart, efficient, and enjoyable part of your morning. If you've got any suggestions, feedback, or tips, drop me a line any time: firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we're watching this week:
- Senate HELP Committee begins its series of hearings on stabilizing states' individual insurance markets. State insurance commissioners are slated to testify Wednesday, followed by governors on Thursday.
- Senate Finance Committee hearing Wednesday on two HHS nominees: Matthew Bassett for assistant secretary, and Robert Charrow for general counsel.
- Senate Appropriations Committee's health subcommittee marks up its annual HHS spending bill on Wednesday. The full-committee markup is scheduled for Thursday.
- Finance Committee hearing on CHIP on Thursday.
- The Medicare Payment Advisory Commission holds its September meeting on Thursday and Friday.