Situational awareness: Amazon just made it official, picking Northern Virginia and Queens for its new giant satellite offices (sorry, there's no such thing as a second or third headquarters). It also will open a large new operational facility in Nashville.
WeWork this morning told bond investors that it has raised $3 billion in new funding from SoftBank, at the same terms as a $1 billion convertible preferred financing infusion from August (i.e., minimum conversion value of $42 billion).
• Antitrust: President Trump yesterday claimed that "Comcast routinely violates antitrust laws," even though there has been no such finding by his Justice Department.
• Secondary stuff: We're beginning to hear about secondary market trades of funds that specialize in buying minority stakes of private equity general partners. Do we call these tertiary deals?
🎧 Podcast: Yesterday we did a Veteran's Day edition, focused on the increase in vet suicides and what's being done to stem the tragic tide. I was joined by my wife, Dr. Jennifer Primack, who focuses on veteran suicides as a clinical psychologist at the VA Medical Center in Rhode Island. Listen here.
The Blackstone Group is considering offers for potential purchases of assets from struggling General Electric, which has hired Goldman Sachs and J.P. Morgan to help it devise yet another restructuring plan, according to Fox Business Network.
• NetEase Cloud Music, a Chinese streaming music unit of NetEase (Nasdaq: NTES), raised $600 million in minority equity funding from firms like Baidu, General Atlantic and Boyu Capital. http://axios.link/dbc2
• Ucommune, a Chinese co-working space company, raised $200 million in Series D funding at a $3 billion valuation led by CEC Capital. http://axios.link/qJe7
• Sojern, a San Francisco-based travel marketing platform, raised $120 million led by TCV. http://axios.link/tCUd
• Poynt, a Palo Alto-based smart payment terminal maker, raised $100 million in Series C funding from firms like Elavon and National Australia Bank. http://axios.link/hS2m
• Ridecell, a San Francisco-based autonomous ride-hail platform, raised $32 million in new Series B funding (round total now $60m). Activate Capital led, and was joined by Munich Re Ventures, LG Technology Ventures, BNP Paribas, Sony Innovation Fund, Ally Ventures, Khosla Ventures and DENSO. http://axios.link/d9Pn
• Velox, an Israeli developer of mass production direct-to-shape digital printing technology, raised $32 million co-led by JAL Ventures and O.R.T. Technologies. www.velox-digital.com
🚑 Ribometrix, a Durham, N.C.-based drug developer focused on modulating RNA activity, raised $30 million in Series A funding. M Ventures led, and was joined by Amgen Ventures, Pappas Capital and Illumina Ventures. Founding investors SV Health Investors, AbbVie Ventures, Hatteras Venture Partners, MP Healthcare Venture Management, the Dementia Discovery Fund and Alexandria Venture Investments. www.ribometrix.com
• XM Cyber, an Israeli automated APT simulation and remediation platform, raised $22 million in Series A funding from Macquarie Capital, Nasdaq Ventures, Our Innovation Fund, LP and UST Global. www.xmcyber.com
🚑 Nyxoah, a Belgian developer of a nerve stimulation treatment for sleep apnea, raised around $17 million led by Australian hearing aid maker Cochlear. http://axios.link/ixRI
• Anorak, a British life insurance advice platform, raised £5 million in Series A funding led by Kamet Ventures. http://axios.link/HFm2
• Fluidly, a London-based provider of cashflow management solutions for SMEs, raised £5 million in Series A funding. Nyca Partners led, and was joined by Octopus Ventures and Anthemis. www.fluidly.com
• ParkWhiz, a Chicago-based parking network, raised $5 million in new Series D funding from Amazon's Alexa Fund, Alate Partners, Chaifetz Group and Purple Arch Ventures. The round total is now $25 million, led by NewSpring Capital. http://axios.link/IMNx
• AwanTunai, an Indonesian P2P lender, raised $4.3 million in Series A funding co-led by Insignia Venture Partners and AMTD Group. http://axios.link/VK2v
• CheckMate, an India-U.S. startup that helps restaurants manage multiple food-ordering platforms, raised $3 million in Series A funding from Tiger Global. http://axios.link/7GLD
• For Days, a Brooklyn-based sustainable clothing startup, raised $2.8 million in seed funding. Rosecliff Ventures led, and was joined by Collaborative Fund, Congruent Ventures, Third Prime Capital, Closed Loop Ventures, Bleu Capital, Gramercy Fund and Ride Ventures. http://axios.link/61jE
• Calabrio, a Minneapolis-based provider of customer engagement and analytics software, raised an undisclosed amount of funding from existing backer KKR. www.calabrio.com
• ClearCourse Partnership, a portfolio company of Aquiline Capital Partners, acquired MillerTech, a UK-based provider of CRM systems to not-for-profits. www.millertech.co.uk
• Lovell Minnick Partners acquired a majority stake in SRS Acquiom, a Denver-based provider of tech-enabled services related to M&A settlement, support and risk mitigation. www.srsacquiom.com
• Myotek, an Irvine, Calif.-based portfolio company of New Water Capital, acquired Amptech, a Manistee, Mich.-based maker of manufactures circuit boards and other electronic assemblies. www.myotek.com
• PPC Partners agreed to buy Plaskolite, a Columbus, Ohio-based maker of transparent thermoplastic sheet products, from Charlesbank Capital Partners. http://axios.link/URUg
• BlaBlaCar, a French carpooling company that has raised over $100 million from firms like Insight Venture Partners, agreed to buy French bus operator Ouibus. http://axios.link/Z1AK
⛽ Chevron, Exxon Mobil and ConocoPhillips are among those considering takeover bids for privately-held Endeavor Energy Resources, a Midland, Texas-based oil producer that could fetch $15 billion, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/sbrn
• Kellogg Co. (NYSE: K) said it will explore a divestiture of its cookies and fruit snacks businesses. Yes, this means the Keebler Elves are officially for sale. http://axios.link/ypJg
🚑 Nestlé Health Science boosted its investment in food allergy biotech Airimmune (Nasdaq: AIMT) from 14.46% to 18.9%. http://axios.link/bUHe
• Rabobank is considering a sale of its U.S. retail banking and wealth management operations, per Reuters. A deal could fetch more than $1 billion. http://axios.link/fpaZ
• Huaxing Growth Capital of China is raising $600 million for its third fund, per ChinaMoneyNetwork. http://axios.link/6GqJ
• The Monetary Authority of Singapore launched a $5 billion private equity fund focused on both companies and infrastructure projects. http://axios.link/qbzo
• Pike Street Capital Partners, a Seattle-based mid-market private equity firm, is raising $200 million for its debut fund, per an SEC filing. www.pikestreetcapital.com
• Resolute Ventures of San Francisco is raising $75 million for its fourth early-stage fund, per an SEC filing. www.resolute.vc
Goldman Sachs shares fell 7.5% yesterday, as fallout continued from a Malaysia bribery scandal.