McCain denounces Trump's Arpaio pardon
Here's what others on both sides of the aisle had to say:
- Speaker Paul Ryan's spokesman released a statement saying he disagreed with the move.
- Sen Jeff Flake tweeted he "would have preferred that the President honor the judicial process."
- Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey supported the move, calling Arpaio a "friend" and noting that it was within Trump's authority.
- Sen. Bob Casey tweeted that "opposition to this...is bipartisan."
- Republican commentator Ana Navarro said it was "a slap in the face to the Latino community."
- Rep. Nancy Pelosi said the pardon "makes a mockery of rule of law, & says communities of color can be targeted & abused w/ total impunity."
- Former Deputy Attorney General Sally Yates tweeted that the pardon reveals Trump's "own contempt for our Constitution, our courts, and our founding principles of equality and justice."
- Sen. Chuck Schumer accused Trump of using Hurricane Harvey as cover to "pardon a man who violated a court's order to stop discriminating against Latinos."
- Sen. Chris Murphy called it "a big middle finger to America."
- The ACLU called it "a presidential endorsement of racism."