Where to find local, fresh fish and seafood in San Diego
It's hard not to love seafood when you live this close to the coast. Anytime friends or family come to town, fresh fish is usually requested.
What you're saying: We've gathered some recommendations on where to find delicious seafood around San Diego.
Low-key, hole in the wall: Oscar's Mexican Seafood is a San Diego staple near the beach, with "some of the best tacos I've ever had," according to one reader.
- Try the ceviche, battered and fried shrimp and the tortas or street tacos with smoked fish.
- There are locations in Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach and Hillcrest.
An oyster experience: Do a tour and oyster tasting at the Carlsbad Aquafarm for local, sustainably-grown shellfish harvested right from the lagoon.
East Coast: Get fresh, New England-style seafood and one of the "best lobster rolls in town" at Pete's Seafood and Sandwich in North Park.
- "Pete and the crew are friendly, efficient and serve a nice selection of classic fish & chips, clam strips, grilled shrimp and such," another reader wrote.
- Mitch's, the runner-up, serves finds from local fishermen on the Point Loma Sportfishing Dock.
💭Kate's thought bubble: You'll find the best fish and chips at Fish 101 in Encinitas or Cardiff.
Yes, but: Fish Shop is my go-to spot for fresh fish, especially with visitors. The best part? You pick your fish, a marinade or rub and how you want it served (tacos, sandwich, salad or plated with sides.)
- My order: Ahi tuna or swordfish
- Locations in Pacific Beach, Point Loma and Encinitas
💭Andy's thought bubble: Blue Water Seafood in Mission Hills is still the GOAT. Yea, there's going to be a line, but it's that persistent demand that makes the unparalleled selection of fresh fish possible.
- Indulge me one more recommendation: Check out the 4410 Bonita Rd. location of the TJ Oyster Bar, it's a full-service seafood restaurant, where the other spots merely serve the best fish tacos, tostados and ceviche around.
More San Diego stories
No stories could be found
Get a free daily digest of the most important news in your backyard with Axios San Diego.