President Trump tweeted Saturday morning that San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz was exhibiting "poor leadership" in Puerto Rico.
The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
...Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They.... — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
...want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
Here is how people have responded:
- Obama's U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance chief, Jeremy Konyndyk: "This is disaster mgmt malpractice...It makes me so mad I could spit."
- Rep. A. Donald McEachin: "This morning's tweets were disappointing, insensitive and unhelpful to say the least...Mr. President, when it comes to needless partisan attacks as a diversion, look in the mirror."
- Sen. Chris Murphy: "Today our President will sit in his opulent golf resort attacking hurricane first responders."
- Sen. Ed Markey: "First thing Trump should do on Tues when he visits #PuertoRico for the first time since #HurricaneMaria devastated the island is apologize."
- Rep. Don Beyer: "You focused on aid efforts in TX & FL but ignored Puerto Rico...THEY ARE DYING."
- Sen. Cortez Masto: "Mayor Cruz's defining what true leadership looks like. She's owed aid & apology."
- Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges: "Carmen Yulín Cruz, mayor of San Juan, has one goal: saving lives. Donald Trump's one goal seems to be attacking Carmen Yulín Cruz."
- Rep. Ruben J. Kihuen: "Attacking fellow Americans who are dying and begging for help is not exactly real leadership, @realDonaldTrump."
- George Takei: "'Give Trump a chance!' they said. Well, Maria was his chance...Instead, he tweeted and sneered. Disgusting."
- Lady Gaga: "I think it's clear where the 'poor leadership' lies."
- Lin-Manual Miranda: "She has been working 24/7. You have been GOLFING. You're going straight to hell."
- Stephen King: "Donald Trump, the master of self-congratulation. His pictures should be next to NARCISSIST in the dictionary."