Jul 9, 2018

Justice Department tells Warner OPM breach mixup was "regrettable" mistake

Witnesses appear before a House hearing on the OPM breach. Photo: Mark Wilson/Getty Images

In a reply to Senator Mark Warner's (D-VA) email attempting to cut through confusion, the Department of Justice said its June 18 press release, implying a Maryland woman somehow accessed data from the 2015 Office of Personnel Management breach, was a "regrettabl[e] ... premature conclusion."

Why it matters: The U.S. publicly accused Chinese spies of the massive breach in 2015, and arrested a Chinese national for his involvement. But a badly worded June 18 press release made it sound like 39-year-old Maryland resident Karvia Cross somehow had access to that data when she fraudulently applied for loans in the names of several OPM victims. The two stories seem incompatible — Chinese espionage wouldn't normally result in an American committing fraud.

"Because the victims in this case had other things in common in terms of employment and location, it is possible that their data came from another common source."
— The DOJ to Sen. Warner

What the letter says: "A number of the victims of this scheme identified themselves to the Department of Justice as victims of the OPM data breach. However, at present, the investigation has not determined precisely how their identity information used in this case was obtained and whether it can, in fact, be sourced directly to the OPM data breach."

What's new here: The DOJ already tried to clean up the press release debacle by removing all reference to OPM from an updated press release, but had not suggested that Cross used alternate methods to access the same information, including alternate lists of employer or residential data from different, but overlapping, lists.

Axios's Codebook newsletter mentioned this was a possibility last week.

Editor's note: This story has been corrected to fix an inadvertent transcription error that led us to omit the word "not" from the Department of Justice quotation.

Go deeper

Bob Iger to step down as CEO of Disney

Photo: Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

The Walt Disney Company said Tuesday that it had named longtime Disney executive Bob Chapek as CEO Bob Iger's successor, effectively immediately. Iger will remain executive chairman of the company through 2021.

Why it matters: Iger is credited with having successfully turned around Disney’s animation and studio businesses and with the strategic acquisition of Marvel, Pixar, Lucasfilm and 21st Century Fox. Most recently, he was the person behind Disney's successful launch of its Netflix rival Disney+.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 31 mins ago - Economy & Business

India gives Trump warm welcome as brutal protests rip New Delhi apart

People supporting India's new citizenship law beat a Muslim man in New Delhi, India. Photo: Danish Siddiqui/TPX/Reuters

While President Trump enjoys a hero's welcome in India, that nation's capital is being torn apart by violent protests between Hindus and Muslims.

The state of play: At least 186 people — 56 police officers and 130 protesters — have been injured and 10 killed in recent clashes, a New Delhi police spokesperson told the AP.

Go deeperArrow1 hour ago - World

Wall Street sees 2nd day of brutal sell-off

Photo: Johannes Eisele/AF via Getty Images

The stock market fell another 3% on Tuesday, following Monday’s sell-off. Bond yields touched record lows.

The big picture: Stocks continued to fall as the CDC said it expects the coronavirus to spread in the U.S. The Dow and S&P are more than 7% below the record highs seen earlier this month.