John Boehner. Photo: Nathan Congleton/NBCU Photo Bank via Getty Images
Former Speaker of the House John Boehner said at a political conference in Michigan Thursday morning that the Republican party has lost its identity and is "taking a nap".
"There is no Republican party. There's a Trump party."— Boehner
- Trump is "most unusual person we've elected" as president, Boehner said.
- Trump won the election fairly, Boehner said.
- If all the "noise" surrounding the president is taken away, his policies are "by and large" good things from a Republican standpoint.
- On the state of politics: "It's too divided. The left and the right are gnawing at each other" and the press is "throwing gasoline on it."
- On foreign affairs: Boehner said foreign countries are "thrilled the U.S. is leading" again and that Trump is "doing the right thing" on foreign policy.
- On a potential trade war: Boehner said he doesn't believe Trump is trying to start a trade war, but wants to get people to the negotiating table.
Go deeper: The cult of Trump