Oct 10, 2019

George Conway leads conservative lawyers in call for "expeditious" Trump impeachment

Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

George Conway and 15 other high-profile conservative lawyers argued Thursday that the House should begin an "expeditious" impeachment investigation into President Trump's interactions with foreign governments, reports the Washington Post.

Why it matters: The lawyers are targeting their joint letter at Republican lawmakers who — for the most part — have backed Trump's version of events, especially when it comes to his conversation with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

"We have not just a political candidate open to receiving foreign assistance to better his chances at winning an election, but a current president openly and privately calling on foreign governments to actively interfere in the most sacred of U.S. democratic processes, our elections."

The big picture: The group of lawyers is part of the Check and Balances coalition that Conway formed a last year to call out Trump when he acts in a manner they deem illegal and unconstitutional.

  • Many of the lawyers who've signed onto the letter have worked in previous Republican administrations.
  • Paul Rosenzweig, a lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, told the Post he thought the letter was too measured: "I would vote for impeachment, and I would vote for conviction and removal in the Senate as well."

Go deeper ... What we're reading: George Conway declares Trump mentally "unfit" for office

Go deeper

Trump says he will campaign against Lisa Murkowski after her support for Mattis

Trump with Barr and Meadows outside St. John's Episcopal church in Washington, D.C. on June 1. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty Images

President Trump tweeted on Thursday that he would endorse "any candidate" with a pulse who runs against Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska).

Driving the news: Murkowski said on Thursday that she supported former defense secretary James Mattis' condemnation of Trump over his response to protests in the wake of George Floyd's killing. She described Mattis' statement as "true, honest, necessary and overdue," Politico's Andrew Desiderio reports.

5 hours ago - World

The president vs. the Pentagon

Trump visits Mattis and the Pentagon in 2018. Photo: Brendan Smialowski/AFP via Getty

Over the course of just a few hours, President Trump was rebuffed by the Secretary of Defense over his call for troops in the streets and accused by James Mattis, his former Pentagon chief, of trampling the Constitution for political gain.

Why it matters: Current and former leaders of the U.S. military are drawing a line over Trump's demand for a militarized response to the protests and unrest that have swept the country over the killing of George Floyd by police.

New York Times says Tom Cotton op-ed did not meet standards

Photo: Avalon/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)

A New York Times spokesperson said in a statement Thursday that the paper will be changing its editorial board processes after a Wednesday op-ed by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), which called for President Trump to "send in the troops" in order to quell violent protests, failed to meet its standards.

Why it matters: The shift comes after Times employees began a coordinated movement on social media on Wednesday and Thursday that argued that publishing the op-ed put black staff in danger. Cotton wrote that Trump should invoke the Insurrection Act in order to deploy the U.S. military against rioters that have overwhelmed police forces in cities across the country.