We are a privately held company called Axios Media, led by co-founders Jim VandeHei, Mike Allen and Roy Schwartz, where EVERY employee is an owner. We maintain a strict firewall between our editorial department and other departments that help us earn money (here's our editorial policy) and disclose if there are any conflicts of interest. The company and its investors, which include Glade Brook, Greycroft, Lerer Hippeau and NBC, have held several successful funding rounds (read a Wall Street Journal article here). We are governed by a seven-person board of directors that is controlled by the co-founders and chaired by VandeHei. Axios Media owns www.axios.com
Our revenue comes from:
- Corporate and Social Responsibility (CSR) advertising. These are fully labeled ads on our newsletters, site, podcasts and mobile app paid for by companies and not-for-profits. They typically are not selling products; instead, they are amplifying their corporate social responsibility and brand reputation messaging with our highly influential audience.
- Performance ads. These are fully labeled ads selling products or services, usually found in our high circulation newsletters.
- Sponsored events. These are on-the-record events focused on big societal or policy topics. Axios fully controls the topics, participants, and questions; the sponsor gets promotion of their brand and a fully labeled, sponsored commercial or segment.
- “Axios on HBO” show. We are paid a per-episode fee for the production, talent and time to produce television. We do this in partnership with HBO and our co-directors at a New York-based production company called DCTV.
- Axios HQ technology and services. We created the software and training to allow others to communicate in our trademarked Smart Brevity style. Organizations, big and small, pay annual fees to utilize the tech for internal communications. Some pay additional fees for HQ specialist training.
- Axios Studio. Our studio is paid by advertisers to create content, transforming their advertising message into our Smart Brevity™ style. The format (written, video, audio, etc.) varies depending on the messaging. Any content created in partnership between Axios Studio and our partners is clearly labeled in placements across Axios products.
- Content partnerships. Third-party platforms or media companies republish Axios editorial content for a fee.
- Programmatic advertising. These are automated, fully labeled ads selling products or services, found on our website only.
- Membership revenue. In certain Axios Local cities, readers contribute money to support local journalism.
- Job and event boards. In certain Axios Local cities, job or event postings can be purchased for display in the newsletter and/or on the site.