Oct 30, 2018
Apple unveils new iPad Pro and Air laptop
Apple announced upgrades to the iPad Pro tablet, along with long-awaited updates to the MacBook Air and Mac Mini computers, at a product event in New York Tuesday morning.
The big picture: Tuesday's event is a follow-up to last month's iPhone announcements and offers updates and refreshes to many of Apple's aging product lines for creative users.
iPad Pro details:
- Edge-to-edge screen display similar to newest iPhones.
- USB-C ports.
- Face ID and no home button, a la the latest iPhones.
- The updated 12.9 inch model is thinner and 25% smaller in volume than it predecessor and the base model price starts at $999 ($799 for the smaller 10 inch model).
- A12X Bionic chip from the same line as the newest iPhone model.
- Updated Apple Pencil.
Macbook Air details:
- A new higher-resolution Retina display.
- USB-C ports and Touch ID, new security features, an updated backlit keyboard, improved audio, and a redesigned trackpad.
- Apple says it's 17% smaller by volume, 10% thinner, and weighs 1/4 pound less than the previous version.
- The aluminum used to manufacture the new laptop's body is 100 percent recycled.
- The base model starts at $1199.
Mac Mini details:
- Faster processors and more input/output ports.
- SSD flash storage.
- Updated security and design with recycled aluminum.
- Base model starts at $799.