May 23, 2018

Paddy Power Betfair is buying FanDuel

Photo by Michael Loccisano/Getty Images

Ireland-based online gaming company Paddy Power Betfair has agreed to buy New York-based fantasy sports site FanDuel, Axios has learned from multiple sources. Expect an official announcement later today.

Context: The two companies had confirmed merger talks earlier this month, in the wake of a U.S. Supreme Court ruling that allows states to legalize sports betting.

Update: PPB and FanDuel made it official shortly after market close in Ireland.

Deal terms:

  • PPB will merge its U.S. assets with FanDuel, and also contribute $158 million in cash. Those U.S. assets include fantasy sports site Draft, which PPB bought last year for $48 million.
  • PPB shareholders will hold 61% of the combined company, while FanDuel shareholders will hold the remaining 39%. But there also are options whereby PPB can increase its ownership to 80% after three years and to 100% after five years.
  • All existing FanDuel shareholders are rolling their shares into the new entity.

FanDuel had raised $435 million in venture capital funding from firms like KKR, NBC Sports, Shamrock Capital Group, Comcast Ventures and the NBA.

It had been valued at $1.2 billion, per terms of a planned 2017 merger with DraftKings that was later killed by U.S. antitrust regulators.

Go deeper