May 7, 2017
Obama's top quotes at JFK 'Profile in Courage' Dinner
Former president Barack Obama spoke Sunday in Boston, where he accepted a "Profile in Courage" award on the 100th anniversary of JFK's birth. Top moment in the tweet below, and four more quotes below the fold:
- To Michelle: "I also want to thank Michelle Obama for, after the presidency, sticking with me. I think she felt an obligation to the country to stay on, but once her official duties were over, it wasn't clear! I love my wife, and I'm grateful for her, and I do believe it was America's great fortune to have her as first lady."
- On JFK: "My life, in many ways, would not have been possible without the vision that JFK etched into the character and hearts of America."
- On fear: "Any fool can be fearless. Courage, true courage, derives from that sense of who we are. What are our best selves."
- On MLK's "Arc of Justice": "It bends because we bend it. Because we put our hand on that arc and we move it in the direction of justice."
- On the health care bill: "It is my fervent hope, and the fervent hope of millions, that regardless of party, such courage is still possible. That today's members of Congress are willing to look at the facts and speak the truth, even when it bucks party dogmas. I hope that current members of Congress recognize it takes little courage to aid those who are already powerful, already comfortable, already influential—but it takes great courage to champion the vulnerable and the sick and the infirm."