Lawmakers and celebs respond to Trump's tweets
President Trump tweeted Saturday morning that San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz was exhibiting "poor leadership" in Puerto Rico.
The Mayor of San Juan, who was very complimentary only a few days ago, has now been told by the Democrats that you must be nasty to Trump. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
...Such poor leadership ability by the Mayor of San Juan, and others in Puerto Rico, who are not able to get their workers to help. They.... — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
...want everything to be done for them when it should be a community effort. 10,000 Federal workers now on Island doing a fantastic job. — Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 30, 2017
Here is how people have responded:
- Obama's U.S. Foreign Disaster Assistance chief, Jeremy Konyndyk: "This is disaster mgmt malpractice...It makes me so mad I could spit."
- Rep. A. Donald McEachin: "This morning's tweets were disappointing, insensitive and unhelpful to say the least...Mr. President, when it comes to needless partisan attacks as a diversion, look in the mirror."
- Sen. Chris Murphy: "Today our President will sit in his opulent golf resort attacking hurricane first responders."
- Sen. Ed Markey: "First thing Trump should do on Tues when he visits #PuertoRico for the first time since #HurricaneMaria devastated the island is apologize."
- Rep. Don Beyer: "You focused on aid efforts in TX & FL but ignored Puerto Rico...THEY ARE DYING."
- Sen. Cortez Masto: "Mayor Cruz's defining what true leadership looks like. She's owed aid & apology."
- Minneapolis Mayor Betsy Hodges: "Carmen Yulín Cruz, mayor of San Juan, has one goal: saving lives. Donald Trump's one goal seems to be attacking Carmen Yulín Cruz."
- Rep. Ruben J. Kihuen: "Attacking fellow Americans who are dying and begging for help is not exactly real leadership, @realDonaldTrump."
- George Takei: "'Give Trump a chance!' they said. Well, Maria was his chance...Instead, he tweeted and sneered. Disgusting."
- Lady Gaga: "I think it's clear where the 'poor leadership' lies."
- Lin-Manual Miranda: "She has been working 24/7. You have been GOLFING. You're going straight to hell."
- Stephen King: "Donald Trump, the master of self-congratulation. His pictures should be next to NARCISSIST in the dictionary."