A U.S. marine veteran accused of raiding North Korea's Embassy in Madrid was denied bail Tuesday by a federal judge in Los Angeles, pending a hearing on his possible extradition to Spain.
Details: Christopher Philip Ahn, 38, is accused of being part of an armed dissident group that allegedly robbed the embassy in February. U.S. Magistrate Judge Jean P. Rosenbluth agreed with a Department of Justice submission that Ahn could be a flight risk if released from custody.
Prohibitive risks may have deterred further nuclear and ballistic missile tests by North Korea, even as it has continued expanding its arsenal. While that freeze remains in place, the regime may opt to accelerate its use of cyber weapons.
The big picture: A nuke test would infuriate China, and launching an ICBM could precipitate a U.S. military strike. But cyberattacks offer a high-impact, low-cost and comparatively low-risk way to generate cash and intimidate other countries.
North Korea wants U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo removed from nuclear negotiations with the country, Pyongyang state media reported Thursday.
Details: "I am afraid that, if Pompeo engages in the talks again, the table will be lousy once again and the talks will become entangled," the official KCNA news agency quoted Kwon Jong Gun, director general of the Department of American Affairs at North Korea's Foreign Affairs Ministry, as saying.
North Korea's Kim Jong-un oversaw the test of a new tactical guided weapon on Wednesday, reports Reuters.
"The completion of the development of the weapon system serves as an event of very weighty significance in increasing the combat power..."— Kim told Korean Central News Agency, of his nation's military
Satellite images of North Korea’s main nuclear site show railcar activity that could be associated with the reprocessing of radioactive material into bomb fuel, the Center for Strategic and International Studies said Tuesday.
"In the past these specialized railcars appear to have been associated with the movement of radioactive material or reprocessing campaigns. The current activity, along with their configurations, does not rule out their possible involvement in such activity, either before or after a reprocessing campaign."
President Trump tweeted on Saturday morning signaling that he's ready for a third summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un, stressing the two have an "excellent" relationship.
The backdrop: Hours earlier, Kim said he was prepared for another meeting with Trump as well, but stipulated that the U.S. has until the end of the year for the sit-down, noting the most recent summit ended without agreement, reports Al-Jazeera. "It is essential for the U.S. to quit its current method and approach us with a new one," Kim said in a speech to the Supreme People's Assembly on Friday. Earlier this month, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he's "confident" another meeting between the U.S. and North Korea will take place, per Politico.
North Korea said Sunday it's watching closely rumors the FBI played a role in what it called a "grave terrorist attack" at its embassy in Madrid, according to the state-run KCNA news agency.
Details: North Korea expects Spain to investigate last month's embassy incident, KCNA reports. A Spanish judge investigating what he called an armed break-in at the embassy said this week the U.S.-based alleged gang leader contacted the FBI days afterward to offer data stolen in the raid.
A dissident group accused of a commando-style break-in at the North Korean Embassy in Madrid said Thursday it had suspended operations after a judge issued arrest warrants for 2 suspects believed to be in the U.S.
Details: Cheollima Civil Defense, which wants to overthrow North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, said it took the temporary action because of speculative media reports. A Spanish judge issued international warrants for the suspected gang leader, Mexico-born U.S. resident Adrian Hong Chang, and U.S. citizen Sam Ryu, El Pais first reported.
The State Department said Tuesday the U.S. had "nothing to do" with a commando-style break-in at North Korea's Embassy in Madrid, after a Spanish judge said the raid leader contacted the FBI soon afterward.
Driving the news: Judge José de la Mata Adrian said the U.S.-based alleged gang leader contacted the FBI in New York "5 days after the assault" on the embassy to offer data stolen in the raid. The armed intruders seek the "liberation of North Korea" and had tried unsuccessfully to persuade an embassy official to defect, Adrian said. They "beat their occupants, until they managed to reduce them and put shackles and flanges to immobilize them."