Jul 30, 2017

Who could be next on Trump's chopping block

Rebecca Zisser / Axios

In only six months of the Trump presidency, nine officials have quit or been forced to resign, including Sally Yates, Michael Flynn, and James Comey.

  • Sean Spicer announced his resignation last week, hours after Anthony Scaramucci was named the new director of communications. Hours after Politico reported that Mooch planned to fire Michael Short, the assistant press secretary quit first. And on Friday Trump replaced Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, announcing it through a tweet.
  • There seem to be more resignations and firings on the horizon, the questions is, who's going next?
  • Why it matters: Trump is obviously losing confidence in his own administration, and is willing to make dramatic personnel changes. Scaramucci, the new favorite, "intends to follow through on threats to purge aides he believes are disloyal to Trump" according to the Washington Post.

We've rounded up the names of those who could be on the chopping block.

Jeff Sessions: Trump has expressed his frustration with Sessions to aides and even the New York Times over the past couple weeks. Axios reported that Trump floated Rudy Giuliani as a possible replacement and has had calls with advisors asking what would happen if he fired Sessions.

Rex Tillerson: He's considering leaving the job of Secretary of State by the end of the year, two sources told CNN. And on Tuesday, Tillerson's spokeswoman announced that Tillerson was "taking a little time off."

H. R. McMaster: National Security Advisor McMaster's plans for Afghanistan have faced repeated opposition from the President as well as Secretary of State Tillerson and Secretary of Defense James Mattis, according to Politico and Bloomberg. Because of this, Trump has reportedly begun losing faith in McMaster.

Robert Mueller: There's been speculation that if Trump replaces Sessions he'll go after Special Counsel Robert Muller next. Last week, Mike Allen reported Trump was advised not to fire Sessions from the Justice Department to "save the bullet" for Mueller.

Steve Bannon: Back in April, Mike Allen reported that Bannon might be on his way out. He was removed from the National Security council, and Politico reported that Bannon had to be convinced not to quit the administration. However, this seems to have blown over.

Go deeper

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 1:30 p.m. ET: 887,067 — Total deaths: 44,264 — Total recoveries: 185,541Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 1:30 p.m. ET: 190,740 — Total deaths: 4,127 — Total recoveries: 7,141Map.
  3. Federal government latest: Vice President Mike Pence said that White House modeling suggests "Italy may be the most comparable area to the United States" in terms of the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
  4. State updates: Florida and Pennsylvania are the latest to issue stay-at-home orders, totaling 34 states and D.C.
  5. 2020 update: New York is latest state to delay primary — Bernie Sanders urges Wisconsin to delay April 7 primary.
  6.  🎧 Podcast: The Defense Production Act
  7. What should I do? Answers about the virus from Axios expertsWhat to know about social distancingQ&A: Minimizing your coronavirus risk.
  8. Other resources: CDC on how to avoid the virus, what to do if you get it.

Subscribe to Mike Allen's Axios AM to follow our coronavirus coverage each morning from your inbox.

West Virginia is latest state to delay primary due to coronavirus

Photo: Barbara Davidson/Getty Images

West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice rescheduled the state's May 12 primary election to June 9 on Wednesday, citing fears surrounding the coronavirus pandemic, AP reports.

Why it matters: 23 other states and the District of Columbia haven't held primaries yet. The White House is recommending, for now, that Americans practice social distancing and gather in groups of no more than 10 people — while many states have issued stay-at-home orders.

Go deeperArrowUpdated 19 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Florida governor issues stay-at-home order

Photo: Joe Raedle/Getty Images

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis ordered a statewide stay-at-home order on Wednesday after the number of coronavirus cases in the state rose to nearly 7,000.

Why it matters: DeSantis has been criticized for declining to order any statewide mandates to curb the spread of coronavirus as Florida — home to a significant elderly population — has increasingly become a hotspot. The order will go into effect at midnight and last for 30 days.

Go deeperArrow19 mins ago - Health