A live webcast today will celebrate the transmission of the first electronic TV signal on Sept. 7, 1927, and the man behind it, Philo T. Farnsworth, per AP:
- The webcast (here) is set for 6 p.m. ET from the original location of Farnsworth's San Francisco lab. It'll be repeated at 9 p.m. and midnight.
- Veteran producer Phil Savenick created the site to detail the medium's history and the contributions of Farnsworth and other TV pioneers.
- The website includes a "virtual museum" of photos, videos and stories.
- In the 1930s, Farnsworth waged a successful legal battle to be recognized as the inventor of electronic television.
- The largely unsung scientist, a Utah native, died in 1971 at age 64.