Hours after Trump struck a deal with Democrats Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi on the debt ceiling Trump invited Democratic Senator Heidi Heitkamp, who's up for reelection in her red state next year, to the stage with him in Bismarck, North Dakota. Most of his speech focused on cutting taxes and "getting the government out of the way." The highlights:
- "We need a tax code that is simple, fair, and easy to understand, unlike what we have." Trump called out H&R Block and tax preparing services for how much money they make to illustrate that it's not easy for most Americans to file their taxes.
- "We will cut the business tax rate as much as possible."
- Trump wants to lower rates for middle income families: Trump said he is focused on "raising the standard deduction, increasing the child tax credit," and lowering taxes for the middle class. He added, "we are not going to allow" the estate tax "to crush the American Dream."
- Trump asked the audience whether they preferred the phrase "Made in America" or "Made in the U.S.A.", and when Made in the U.S.A. got a louder response, he seemed to settle on the latter.
- On how everyone left the White House meeting on the debt ceiling today: "not too happy because you can never be too happy."
- On healthcare: "Believe me we haven't given up on healthcare."