U.S. President John F. Kennedy. Photo: AP

President Trump will be releasing 2,800 files relating to President John F. Kennedy's assassination this evening, and withholding the rest until April 26, 2018 due to requests from various agencies, primarily the FBI and CIA, officials told reporters on Thursday.

In a memo, Trump said that he "has no choice" but to redact information as requested by the agencies, citing concerns relating to national security, law enforcement and foreign affairs. Officials said information regarding JFK's assassination should stay disclosed after that six month period "only in the rarest cases."

As far as conspiracies go: NARA officials tell reporters that they will leave it to researchers to make significance of the files, but that the files released on Thursday will be easy to search for any specific topic people may be interested in.

Go deeper

General Motors tries to revive incendiary lawsuit vs. Fiat Chrysler

Illustration: Eniola Odetunde/Axios

General Motors is trying to revive an incendiary lawsuit against Fiat Chrysler Automobiles with explosive new allegations including bribes paid from secret offshore bank accounts and a union official acting as a double agent between the two automotive giants.

Why it matters: The extraordinary legal battle is occurring amid earth-shaking changes in the global auto industry that threaten to turn both litigants into dinosaurs if they aren't nimble enough to pivot to a future where transportation is a service, cars run on electrons and a robot handles the driving.

2 hours ago - Health

Cuomo says all New York schools can reopen for in-person learning

Gov. Cuomo on July 23 in New York City. Photo: Jeenah Moon/Getty Images

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday that all school districts across the state can choose to reopen for in-person learning because it has so far maintained low enough coronavirus transmission rates.

Why it matters: It’s another sign that the state, once the global epicenter of the pandemic, has — at least for now — successfully curbed the spread of the virus even as infections have surged elsewhere around the country.

Appeals court allows House Democrats to continue lawsuit for Don McGahn testimony

Don McGahn in an October 2018 Cabinet meeting. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

A D.C. appeals court on Friday allowed House Democrats to continue their case for testimony from former White House counsel Don McGahn before the House Judiciary Committee.

Why it matters: The ruling has broader implications beyond this specific instance, agreeing that Congress has the standing to sue to enforce subpoenas against executive branch officials even if the White House refuses to comply.