SaveSave story

State Dept.: Tillerson "is unaware of the reason" for his ouster

Tillerson and Trump
Tillerson and Trump. Photo: Chris Kleponis, Pool via Bloomberg

The State Department said that Rex Tillerson did not speak to President Trump before the tweeted announcement that Mike Pompeo would replace Tillerson as Secretary of State, adding that Tillerson was "unaware of the reason" for his dismissal. State added that Tillerson "had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security."

How it went down: According to the Washington Post, Tillerson abruptly returned to Washington from a five-day Africa trip after Trump fired him on Friday. But senior State Department officials have been pushing back on that narrative, stating that Tillerson found out about his dismissal via Trump's tweet, per NBC News' Andrea Mitchell.

The full statement from State Department Under Secretary Steve Goldstein...

"The Secretary had every intention of staying because of the critical progress made in national security. He will miss his colleagues at the Department of State and the foreign ministries he has worked with throughout the world.
The Secretary did not speak to the President and is unaware of the reason, but he is grateful for the opportunity to serve, and still believes strongly that public service is a noble calling.
We wish Secretary Designate Pompeo well."

More on Goldstein, via Axios' Jonathan Swan:

Haley Britzky 5 hours ago
SaveSave story

DOJ eyeing tool to allow access to encrypted data on smartphones

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein.
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein. Photo: Win McNamee / Getty Images

The Justice Department is in "a preliminary stage" of discussions about requiring tech companies building "tools into smartphones and other devices" that would allow law enforcement investigators to access encrypted data, the New York Times reports.

Why it matters: This has been on the FBI's mind since 2010, and last month the White House "circulated a memo...outlining ways to think about solving the problem," officials told the Times. Both FBI Director Christopher Wray, and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, support finding ways for law enforcement to access data without compromising devices security.

Haley Britzky 5 hours ago
SaveSave story

Media tycoon Barry Diller talks #MeToo

 IAC & Expedia, Inc. Chairman & Senior Executive Barry Diller
IAC & Expedia, Inc. Chairman & Senior Executive Barry Diller. Photo: Cindy Ord / Getty Images for Yahoo

Barry Diller, chairman of mega-media and Internet company IAC, told the New York Times he thinks "all men are guilty," when it comes to "the spectrum" of the #MeToo movement.

"I hope in the future for some form of reconciliation. Because I think all men are guilty. I’m not talking about rape and pillage. I’m not talking about Harveyesque. I’m talking about all of the spectrum. From an aggressive flirt. Or even just a flirty-flirt that has one sour note in it. Or what I think every man was guilty of, some form of omission in attitude, in his views."

Why it matters: The #MeToo movement has rocked Hollywood and the media industry. Diller told the Times he sees the effects of this "in our companies, where the relationships between people are changing."