Axios Mar 23, 2017
The Trump quotes everyone is reading today
TIME's new cover, "Is Truth Dead?," echoes the typography of TIME's classic "Is God Dead?" cover from April 8, 1966. In a phone interview from the Oval on March 22, Trump told TIME's Michael Scherer:
- "Hey, look, I can't be doing so badly, because I'm President and you're not."
- On accusing President Obama of wiretapping: "I'm a very instinctual person, but my instinct turns out to be right. I have articles saying that it happened."
- "When I said 'wire tapping,' it was in quotes."
- On his unsubstantiated claim that 3 million undocumented immigrants voted illegally, Trump said he would be proved right eventually, though he hinted that he no longer stood by all parts of that claim: "When I say that, mostly they register wrong. In other words, for the votes, they register incorrectly, and/ or illegally. I'm forming a committee on it."
- On Sweden: "I was right about that."