The Trump quotes everyone is reading today
TIME's new cover, "Is Truth Dead?," echoes the typography of TIME's classic "Is God Dead?" cover from April 8, 1966. In a phone interview from the Oval on March 22, Trump told TIME's Michael Scherer:
- "Hey, look, I can't be doing so badly, because I'm President and you're not."
- On accusing President Obama of wiretapping: "I'm a very instinctual person, but my instinct turns out to be right. I have articles saying that it happened."
- "When I said 'wire tapping,' it was in quotes."
- On his unsubstantiated claim that 3 million undocumented immigrants voted illegally, Trump said he would be proved right eventually, though he hinted that he no longer stood by all parts of that claim: "When I say that, mostly they register wrong. In other words, for the votes, they register incorrectly, and/ or illegally. I'm forming a committee on it."
- On Sweden: "I was right about that."