Feb 9, 2017

The companies that are ignoring Trump on Mexico

David Goldman / AP

The WSJ takes a deeper look at U.S. companies ignoring pressure from Trump to keep their plants in the U.S. Trump wants to keep factories in the U.S. to prevent jobs from leaving the country — and he's warned he will implement new policy to make the moves less attractive. But:

  • Milwaukee-based Rexnord Corp. is planning to close its industrial-bearings factory, which employs about 350 people, and expects to save $30 million annually.
  • Illinois-based Caterpillar, which manufactures heavy equipment, will be moving jobs to Monterrey, Mexico. "We're just going to have to wait and see how this plays," said CFO brad Halverson.
  • Charlotte, NC-based Nucor is moving forward with Japan's JFE Steel to build a new plant for car makers. Nucor CEO John Ferriola said these plans could change if Trump creates policies that penalize companies for moving.
  • Sellersburg, IN-based Mantiowoc Foodservice laid off 80 employees after the election and is continuing plans to move.
  • Elkhart IN-based CTS Corp plans to shift production to China, Mexico and Taiwan.
  • Detroit-based Ford has ditched plans to build a new Mexican facility, but is still moving production of its Focus small car from Michigan to its existing factory in Mexico.
  • Detroit-based General Motors is moving despite criticism from Trump, but has also committed to adding more U.S. jobs.

Why this matters: The economic benefits of investing abroad has continued to undermine Trump's plans, even if he uses the carrot of tax cuts and deregulations and the stick of potential tarriffs.

Go deeper

Trump denies seeing Navarro memos warning about toll of coronavirus

President Trump said at a press briefing Tuesday that he "didn't see" memos from his trade adviser Peter Navarro warning in January and February that the coronavirus crisis could kill more than half a million Americans and cost close to $6 trillion.

Why it matters: Trump insisted that despite not seeing the memos, he did "more or less" what Navarro suggested by banning non-U.S. citizens from traveling from China effective Feb. 2.

Acting Navy secretary resigns over handling of virus-infected ship

Thomas Modly. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly resigned Tuesday after apologizing for comments he made about Capt. Brett Crozier, who was removed when a letter he wrote pleading with the Navy to address the coronavirus outbreak aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt was leaked to the press. The resignation was first reported by Politico.

Why it matters: The controversy over Crozier's removal was exacerbated after audio leaked of Modly's address to the crew, in which he said Crozier was either "too naive or too stupid to be a commanding officer of a ship like this." After initially backing Modly's decision, President Trump said at a briefing Monday that he would "get involved."

Go deeperArrowUpdated 49 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Appeals court allows Texas abortion ban to remain during coronavirus outbreak

Gov. Greg Abbott. Photo: Tom Fox-Pool/Getty Images

A federal appeals court in Texas ruled 2-1 in favor of an executive order by Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday that prohibits abortions during the coronavirus outbreak.

The big picture: Abbott last month issued the order banning elective procedures in an effort to save medical supplies like masks and gowns for health workers treating the coronavirus. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton noted one day later that the order applied to abortions — unless the woman's life is at risk.