Otto Warmbier

Otto Warmbier’s parents file claim for seized North Korean ship

Parents of Otto Warmbier, Fred and Cindy Warmbier are acknowledged during the State of the Union address in the chamber of the U.S. House of Representatives January 30, 2018 in Washington, DC.
Fred and Cindy Warmbier, the parents of Otto Warmbier. Photo: Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images

Otto Warmbier’s parents have filed a claim for a seized North Korean cargo ship in an attempt to force the country to pay part of $500 million awarded to them in a wrongful death court judgment, CNN first reported Saturday.

The big picture: Warmbier was detained in North Korea for 17 months. He died in 2017 after being flown to the U.S. in a coma. "The Warmbiers are committed to holding North Korea accountable for the death of their son Otto, and will work tirelessly to seize North Korean assets," Fred and Cindy Warmbier's attorney said in a statement to AP.

Go deeper: North Korea billed U.S. $2 million before returning Otto Warmbier

Former North Korea envoy says Trump approved signing pledge for Otto Warmbier's return

Joseph Yun. Photo: Toru Yamanaka/AFP/Pool/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images

Former U.S. Special Representative for North Korea Joseph Yun told CNN Monday that he signed an agreement in 2017 to pay Kim Jong-un's regime $2 million for Otto Warmbier’s hospital care, a decision he believes was approved by President Trump.

The big picture: Trump has denied that the U.S. paid North Korea any money under the deal after the Washington Post reported its existence last week. National security adviser John Bolton confirmed on "Fox News Sunday" that an administration official did sign such a document.

Go deeper: North Korea billed U.S. $2 million before returning Otto Warmbier