Michael Cohen

Search warrants show FBI probed Michael Cohen as early as July 2017

Redacted documents related to the search warrants carried out during a raid on Michael Cohen's home and office last year show that the FBI sought and obtained a warrant for Cohen's emails as early as July 2017.

Why it matters: This suggests the FBI's investigation into President Trump's longtime personal attorney was opened far earlier than previously known. The search warrant documents, which run nearly 1,000 pages, were published Tuesday after a federal judge ordered their release earlier this week, citing valid public interest in their contents.

Nadler: Whitaker "did not deny" talking to Trump about Cohen

House Judiciary Committee chairman, Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.),
House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerrold Nadler (D-N.Y.) Photo: Cheriss May/NurPhoto/ Getty Images

House Judiciary Chairman Rep. Jerry Nadler (D-N.Y.), told reporters on Wednesday that former acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker did not deny discussing details of the Michael Cohen case with President Trump, nor did he refute claims that he directly participated in conversations about whether to fire 1 or more U.S. attorneys in New York who brought the case against Cohen.

Details: Whitaker, who was in charge of the Justice Department from November until last month, met privately with Nadler to clarify his public testimony that took place in February. However, the panel's ranking Republican member Douglas Collins (R-Ga.), who was present, pushed back against Nadler's characterization of Whitaker's comments, calling them an "inaccurate interpretation of what he said. Mr. Whitaker said he did not have conversations with the president about Cohen," said Collins, per CBS News reports.

More stories loading.