James Mattis

4 Americans killed in ISIS-claimed attack in Syria

Scene of attack in syria of isis-related explosion
An image grab taken from a video obtained by AFPTV shows US troops gathered at the scene of a suicide attack in the northern Syrian town of Manbij. Photo: AFP/Getty Images

Four Americans were killed and three wounded during an explosion in Manbij, Syria, U.S. officials said on Wednesday.

Details: The Islamic State, or ISIS, has claimed responsibility for the attack. According to CENTCOM, the Americans killed included two service members, one Defense Department civilian and one contractor.

Mattis had "deep concerns" about White House request for Iran strike options

Then-Defense Secretary James Mattis and President Trump last year. Photo: Win McNamee/Getty Images

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis had "deep concerns" about a request late last year from national security adviser John Bolton for options to attack inside Iran, according to a source close to Mattis.

The big picture: "There were deep concerns about any efforts to escalate a conflict with Iran," the source told me. As the Wall Street Journal first reported, Bolton's request came "after militants fired three mortars into Baghdad's sprawling diplomatic quarter, home to the U.S. Embassy, on a warm night in early September. The shells — launched by a group aligned with Iran — landed in an open lot and harmed no one."

More stories loading.