Jul 7, 2018

Report: Scrapped U.S.-South Korea military drill would have cost $14 million

U.S. and South Korea marines conducted the combined amphibious landing exercise as a part of the combined field training. Photo: Chung Sung-Jun/Getty Images

The "war games" President Trump vowed to end in an announcement on Twitter just last month, referring to a joint U.S.-South Korea military exercise that was cancelled following the complaint by the president, would reportedly have cost about $14 million, Reuters reports citing U.S. officials.

Why it matters: Some officials argue that this "cost-saving" antic really isn't going to save the U.S. military — which has a budget of $700 billion this year — loads of money, because the troops that would have been involved in the exercises will still require the same training and certification, Reuters adds. The annual joint exercise was suspended indefinitely, the Pentagon later announced, to show support of the Singapore summit between Kim Jong-un and Donald Trump.

Yes, but: "The $14 million price tag compares with a recent contract awarded to Boeing Co. for nearly $24 million for two refrigerators to store food aboard Air Force One," Reuters explains. However, the Boeing contract was later voided because of the potential crafting of a new Air Force One plane.

Go deeper

12 mins ago - World

Kremlin says Trump discussed inviting Russia to G7 in call with Putin

President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin at their bilateral meeting at the G20 Osaka Summit 2019, in Osaka, Japan in 2019. Photo: Mikhail Svetlov/Getty Images

President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin spoke on Monday about Trump's plans to expand September's G7 meeting in Washington to include Russia, according to the Russian government's readout of the call.

The big picture: The phone call between the two leaders, which the Kremlin says was initiated by Trump, comes amid six consecutive days of mass unrest in the U.S. over police brutality and racial inequality. The White House confirmed the call took place and said a readout was forthcoming.

Facebook employees stage "virtual walkout"

Screenshot of an image some Facebook employees are adding to their internal profiles, with or without the hashtag, to protest company policy.

"Dozens" of Facebook employees staged a "virtual walkout" Monday over the company's decision not to take action against President Trump's provocative messages in the face of nationwide protests against police violence, the New York Times reports.

Why it matters: While Twitter added fact-check labels and hid the president's most inflammatory tweet — "when the looting starts, the shooting starts" — Facebook has said Trump's statements do not violate its policies, and that the platform aims to promote free speech.

Updated 54 mins ago - Politics & Policy

Trump lashes out at governors, urges them to "dominate" protesters

President Trump berated the nation’s governors in a video teleconference call Monday, calling many of them "weak" and demanding tougher crackdowns on the protests that erupted throughout the country following the killing of George Floyd, according to multiple reports.

The big picture: Trump blamed violence on the "the radical left" and told the governors, who were joined by law enforcement and national security officials, that they have to "dominate" protesters and "arrest people" in order to bring an end to the unrest.