Democrats go public with details on Russia’s extensive meddling in Europe
Vladimir Putin. Photo: Mikhail Svetlov / Getty Images
"A sweeping new report by congressional Democrats warns of deepening Russian interference throughout Europe," AP reports:
- Why it matters: "[E]ven without GOP backing, the report's recounting of Russian operations in 19 European nations foreshadows the still-unpublished Senate intelligence committee's bipartisan inquiry into Russia's role during the 2016 U.S. presidential election."
- "Cardin's report ... cites years of cyber-attacks, disinformation, clandestine social media operations, financing of fringe political groups, corruption and in the extreme, assassination attempts and military operations that destabilized fledgling democratic governments in the Ukraine and Georgia."
- "The 200-plus page report released by Sen. Ben Cardin of Maryland, the ranking Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, comes without sign-off from Republicans on the panel."
P.S. WashPost A1, "Transcript release intensifies feud over FBI, Trump dossier":
- "The transcript of Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn R. Simpson’s interview with the Senate Judiciary Committee was released by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, the panel’s senior Democrat, over the objections of Chairman Charles E. Grassley."
- Why it matters: "The 312-page transcript shows that Republican staffers on the committee repeatedly pressed Simpson about whether he had political motivations ... Simpson acknowledged that he didn’t like Trump as a candidate but said his job was to find facts, not to push an agenda."