Internet providers like Comcast and AT&T have spent almost two years pushing back against strict net neutrality rules from the Federal Communications Commission.

They just caught a break.

Their lobbyists in Washington have asked the FCC to reconsider privacy rules for broadband providers that were triggered by the net neutrality order, just weeks before Republican commissioners sympathetic to their cause are slated to take over the agency.

Why it matters: This signals the start of a fight over net neutrality that will involve major players in tech and media. The elimination of these privacy regulations would also make it easier for internet providers to compete with Facebook and Google in the battle for digital ad dollars.

Our thought bubble: This won't take down the whole net neutrality house of cards. The FCC's action here would only apply to the specific privacy rules, not the broader and more-established net neutrality regulations. It will take a separate, longer effort to dismantle net neutrality protections.

What's next: The battleground expands. The FCC's incoming Republican majority is expected to move quickly to quash, or at least drastically weaken, the broader rules, and Congress may get involved as well. Consumer groups who've been vocal supporters of the need for privacy and net neutrality rules vowed to fight the carrier's campaign to dismantle them.

Go deeper

12 mins ago - World

Trump announces new Iran sanctions in effort to maintain international arms embargo

Photo: Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images

President Trump signed an executive order on Monday that would impose sanctions on any person or entity that contributes to the supply, sale, or transfer of conventional arms to or from Iran or is engaged in providing training and financial support related to those weapons.

Why it matters: The executive order is the first step by the Trump administration to put teeth into its claim that international sanctions on Iran were restored over the weekend, one month after the U.S. initiated the "snapback" process under a United Nations Security Council resolution.

Exclusive: Conservative group launches $2M Supreme Court ad

Screengrab of ad, courtesy of Judicial Crisis Network.

The Judicial Crisis Network is launching a $2.2 million ad campaign to put pressure on vulnerable Senate Republicans in battleground states to support a quick confirmation when President Trump announces his Supreme Court nominee.

The big picture: "Follow Precedent," previewed by Axios, is one of the first national and cable television ads to run following Justice Ruth Bader Ginsberg's death Friday.

Updated 27 mins ago - Politics & Policy

CDC says it mistakenly published guidance about COVID-19 spreading through air

CDC Director Robert Redfield. Photo: Anna Moneymaker/Pool/Getty Images

The CDC has removed new guidance that acknowledged airborne transmission of the coronavirus, posting in a note on its website that the guidance was only a draft and had been published in error.

Why it matters: The initial update — which was little noticed until a CNN story was published Sunday — had come months after scientists pushed for the agency to acknowledge the disease was transmissible through the air. The CDC previously said that close person-to-person contact was the bigger concern, and the language has been changed back to erase the warning about airborne transmission.