Cardinal Timothy Dolan, the archbishop of New York, hugs Speaker Ryan after he spoke last night. Photo: Julie Jacobson / AP
Speaker Paul Ryan poked fun at Trump during last night's 72nd annual Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation white-tie dinner, which always draws top politicians, and includes a comedy routine for New York elite (via AP and NYT):
- "Enough with the applause ... You sound like the Cabinet when Donald Trump walks into the room."
- "I don't think I've seen this many New York liberals, this many Wall Street CEOs in one room since my last visit to the White House."
More from Ryan
- "I know why Chuck [Schumer] has been so hard on President Trump. It's not ideological; Chuck is just mad he lost his top donor."
- On Trump's remarks to the dinner last year: "Some said it was unbecoming of a public figure and they said that his comments were offensive. Well, thank God he's learned his lesson."
- "The truth is, the press absolutely misunderstands and never records the big accomplishments of the White House ... Look at all the new jobs the president has created — just among the White House staff."
- "Every morning I wake up in my office and I scroll through Twitter to see which tweets I will have to pretend I didn't see later on."
- "Every afternoon former Speaker John Boehner calls me up, not to give advice, just to laugh."