North Korean leader Kim Jong Un waves at parade participants at the Kim Il Sung Square. Photo: Wong Maye-E / AP

America's North Korea envoy, Joseph Yun, has been warning lawmakers that North Korea has been avoiding talks with the U.S. in response to Trump's attacks on Kim Jong-un, NBC reports, citing "multiple U.S. government and congressional officials." This comes after Tillerson said in Beijing that the U.S. has "three" channels open to North Korea.

Impact: Yun's warnings inspired Senator Bob Corker's comments that the administration is fraying diplomatic efforts, per these sources. East Asian and Pacific Affairs Bureau Spokesperson Justin Higgins for his own part said that although "we still want to see a peaceful, diplomatic solution to the North Korean nuclear and missile threat, now is clearly not the time for talks."

The State Department's take: Higgins said, "We can't comment on allegations from anonymous sources," adding that "The DPRK's belligerent and provocative behavior demonstrates it has no interest in working toward a peaceful solution."

Up next: Yun is working on restarting talks between a top diplomat and North Korea and could include Secretary of State Rex Tillerson. Yun is also working on toning down the rhetoric coming from the administration. Trump is traveling to the region next month, although he may not visit the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea.

Go deeper

Updated 21 mins ago - World

At least 50 killed, 3,000 injured after massive explosion rocks Beirut

Photo: Anwar Amro/AFP via Getty Images

A major explosion has slammed central Beirut, Lebanon, damaging buildings as far as several miles away and injuring scores of people.

Driving the news: Lebanon's health minister said in televised remarks that more than 50 people have been killed and over 3,000 injured. Prime Minister Hassan Diab said the explosions occurred at a warehouse that had been storing 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate for the past six years, per NBC.

"Mulan" will head to Disney+, home to more than 60 million subscribers

An outdoor ad for Disney's "Mulan" in Hollywood, California. Photo: Rich Fury/Getty Images

Disney announced Tuesday that its most highly-anticipated blockbuster of the year, the live-action remake of "Mulan," is heading to Disney+ on Sept. 4 for consumers to purchase for a premium access fee of $29.99. The movie's theatrical debut had previously been delayed four times.

Why it matters: It's a huge blow to movie exhibitors across the country that were relying on the Disney hit to come exclusively to theaters for at least a few months before being made available to consumers at home via streaming.

Updated 1 hour ago - Politics & Policy

Coronavirus dashboard

Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios

  1. Global: Total confirmed cases as of 5:30 p.m. ET: 18,380,616 — Total deaths: 696,389 — Total recoveries — 10,973,850Map.
  2. U.S.: Total confirmed cases as of 5:30 p.m. ET: 4,751,853 — Total deaths: 156,301 — Total recoveries: 1,513,446 — Total tests: 57,543,852Map.
  3. States: New York City health commissioner resigns in protest of De Blasio's coronavirus response — Local governments go to war over schools.
  4. Public health: 59% of Americans support nationwide 2-week stay-at-home order in NPR poll.
  5. Politics: Trump's national security adviser returns to work after coronavirus recovery Republicans push to expand small business loan program.
  6. Sports: Indy 500 to be held without fansRafael Nadal opts out of U.S. Open.