Axios Twin Cities

May 21, 2026
Happy Thursday! The long weekend is so close we can taste it.
- This morning's clouds should clear, with a high of 65, per NWS.
👀 Situational awareness: Top Trump administration officials will hold an 11am news conference in Minneapolis to "announce major law enforcement action involving fraud in Minnesota."
🎂 Happy birthday to our member Phillip Kunkel!
Today's newsletter is 1,130 words, a 4-minute read.
1 big thing: Sentencing day for Feeding Our Future boss
Former Feeding Our Future executive director Aimee Bock learns today how much time she'll serve for her role in the country's largest pandemic fraud case.
The big picture: Bock's sentencing could reignite debates over the severity of the penalties handed down in response to the "brazen" scheme to steal from a federally funded child nutrition program.
Driving the news: Federal prosecutors asked the judge for a 50-year sentence to reflect the seriousness of the crimes and deter future abuse.
- "Stealing funds intended to feed children is a profound breach of trust that demands accountability," U.S. Attorney Daniel Rosen said in a filing.
- He argued that Bock, who is 45, "unquestionably led the scheme" but has "never accepted any responsibility or shown any remorse."
Bock's lawyer made the case in a separate filing that she should get a maximum of closer to three years, saying she was duped by two employees who were the true "masterminds."
- His filing notes that she had no history of financial crimes and that her "personal gain" was only a small fraction of the $240 million the government alleges was stolen.
Zoom in: Bock, whose organization sponsored the purported fake meal sites, was convicted in March 2025 of wire fraud, bribery and conspiracy.
The other side: Bock has said she "didn't have a clue" about the scheme and provided investigators with records used to build the case.
- She's repeatedly said colleagues, the sham food site operators and the Minnesota Department of Education should carry more responsibility.
How it works: Judges weigh federal sentencing guidelines, criminal history and prison time for similar cases nationwide when determining punishments, University of Minnesota law professor Sam J. Merchant told Axios.
- Factors like the amount stolen and whether a defendant showed remorse and cooperated with investigators can also influence the outcome.
What to expect: Merchant, an expert in federal sentencing law, said he'd expect the judge to land "a bit below the government's request," possibly in the 40- to 50-year range, based on how she's handled other major Feeding Our Future cases.
2. Zoom out: Where the other cases stand
Prosecutors have charged at least 78 people tied to Feeding Our Future.
- Sixty-five have pleaded guilty or been convicted at trial.
By the numbers: 15 of those people have received sentences ranging from one year of probation to 28 years behind bars.
- The average prison sentence so far is about 5.5 years, according to an Axios analysis.
Plus: Many have been ordered to pay restitution, in amounts as high as $48 million.
Friction point: Some of the lower sentences have attracted questions and criticism online, with some social media users arguing that they're too light.
Yes, but: Merchant, who reviewed sentencing data compiled by Axios, said the outcomes weren't surprising and that the prison time for the more serious cases is actually "harsher than what we would expect to see."
- "If anyone's thinking that this judge is light on these offenders, the data doesn't bear that out," he said.
Case in point: Mukhtar Mohamed Shariff, one of five defendants found guilty of stealing $49 million in food aid, got 17 years behind bars.
- A typical sentence, based on his conviction and criminal history, would have been closer to 12 years, Merchant said.
The intrigue: Bock's lawyer wrote in his memo that the median sentence for a defendant with a similar profile is roughly 10 years.
The bottom line: It's not unusual for a judge to issue a "downward" sentence that's near the bottom or even below the guidelines in white-collar fraud cases.
3. The Spoon: The latest on the "Cop City 2.0" debate
🚑 A plan to build a first responder training facility in South Minneapolis goes back before the city council today. Its chances of moving forward appear slim. (Background via Axios)
- In other Minneapolis news, Mayor Jacob Frey nominated former Oakland fire chief Reginald Freeman as the city's new fire leader. (WCCO)
⚖️ A Feeding Our Future defendant whose Twin Cities daycare was featured in a conservative influencer's viral video is now facing additional fraud charges. (Fox9)
🎯 Target posted its best earnings report in four years, but the company's warnings about eroding consumer sentiment sent its shares tumbling 3.9% yesterday. (Wall Street Journal)
🚔 Minneapolis police arrested two teens in connection with an attempted auto theft that led to the death of a South Minneapolis veteran who ran a nonprofit coffee bar. (MPR News)
🕯️A Minnesota-based Navy veteran and TikTok star known as "Patriotic Kenny," died this week at 84. (Pioneer Press)
🛍️ A union representing REI employees at 11 stores, including the Maple Grove location, is urging customers to boycott the retailer's anniversary sale. (Axios)
4. Minneapolis weighs data center pause
The Minneapolis City Council decides today whether to pause new data center development.
Why it matters: Developers are beginning to see building data centers in vacant office towers as a tool to inject value back into underused properties.
- But some council members want stricter rules before more projects move forward, citing concerns about electricity and water use.
Threat level: It's unclear whether a yearlong pause would scuttle any active plans, though Minneapolis Downtown Council CEO Adam Duininck told Axios he knows of "a handful of buildings" where data centers are under consideration.
- Downtown data centers would likely be much smaller than the sprawling suburban centers that have sparked much of the controversy.
What they're saying: Duininck called a moratorium "completely unnecessary," saying the council has ways to study new regulations without declaring a pause.
The other side: Some of the predictions that data centers could rescue downtown feel like "wish-casting" to City Council President Elliott Payne.
5. ⚽️ Minnesota Aurora FC season begins tonight
Minnesota Aurora FC kicks off its 2026 season tonight in Eagan's TCO Stadium against in-state rival Rochester FC.
The 7pm match is the first of 12 for Aurora in the USL-W League.
- They've won the Heartland Division in each of their first four seasons, but have yet to win a league title.
How to watch: Tickets are still available and all home games will be broadcast on FOX 9+ and streamed online.
Editor's note: We corrected Tuesday's recap of the legislative session to reflect that the e-bike safety package passed the Senate (but not the House).
🏡 Nick is very upset he had to turn his heat back on yesterday.
📚 Torey just started "June Baby."
🌪️ Kyle recommends this podcast to anyone who loves the 1996 film "Twister" as much as he does.
🗑️ Audrey gave up on "Imperfect Women." Not even Elisabeth Moss could save that terrible pacing.
Today's newsletter was edited by Delano Massey.
Sign up for Axios Twin Cities









