1. ⚾️ Mike Trout is a $430 million bargain
Mike Trout has reportedly agreed to a contract extension with the Angels that will pay him more than $430 million over the next 12 seasons, blowing the record-breaking 13-year, $330 million deal Bryce Harper signed last month out of the water.
- Immediate response: "WOAH!!! That’s a lot of money!!!"
- 30 seconds later: "I mean, it's Mike Trout, so he probably deserves that insane amount of money."
- 10 minutes of research later: "Wait, this is a total bargain. MIKE TROUT IS UNDERPAID!!!"
By the numbers: Over the course of his career, Mike Trout has been as productive as Harper and Manny Machado, combined. His career wins above replacement (WAR) is 64.3. Harper's is 27.4 and Machado's is 33.8.
- "In other words, take the superstar who just signed for $330 million, add him to a second superstar who just signed for $300 million, and you have Trout — except that Trout takes up only one roster spot," writes The Ringer's Ben Lindbergh.
- The bottom line: Mike Trout is so good that the largest contract in MLB history doesn't even come close to paying him what he's worth.
Fun fact: Trout's extension is more than the combined career PGA Tour earnings of Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Jim Furyk and Dustin Johnson — the top-five on the all-time money list.
- Anotha one: The median U.S. household income is roughly $60,000. Trout will make roughly $67,000 ... per at bat.