10. 🎬 Top 50 sports movies: Nos. 10–1
This week, our resident film buff Jeff Tracy unveiled his Top 50 sports movies, concluding today with the top 10. (ICYMI: 50–41, 40–31, 30–21, 20–11)
10. Field of Dreams (1989) An absolute classic that can, and should, be watched over and over again. Still holding out hope we'll get to see this year's Field of Dreams game between the Yankees and White Sox.
9. Love & Basketball (2000) Sanaa Lathan (who had never picked up a basketball before filming) and Omar Epps are perfect as Monica and Quincy, and put the age-old game of strip basketball firmly back on the map.
8. Creed (2015) Ryan Coogler and Michael B. Jordan may just be the modern-day equivalent to Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro ("Fruitvale Station," "Creed," "Black Panther"). Can't wait to see their next joint project.
7. Bull Durham (1988) Tell me how it's possible that in consecutive years Kevin Costner made "Bull Durham" and "Field of Dreams?"
6. Friday Night Lights (2004) Boobie Miles flashing his signature bravado as he cleans out his locker; Boobie Miles breaking down in the car minutes later, a once-exciting future seemingly all but dashed. Sometimes, life isn't fair.
5. The Sandlot (1993) Heroes are remembered, but legends never die.
4. Rocky (1976) I'm cheating a bit here and rolling up the entire Rocky series into this slot. But if I had to pick just one, give me the first; give me the best.
3. Major League (1989) "Well then I guess there's only one thing left to do ... win the whole f---ing thing." Not sure what this movie has more of: unbelievable lines, or curse words.
2. Remember the Titans (2000) "YOU BLITZ ALL NIGHT!!! If they cross the line of scrimmage, I'll take every last one of you out! You make sure they remember FOREVER the night they played the Titans."
1. Moneyball (2011) How can you not be romantic about baseball?