📺 "You guys got it all wrong."
Mark Wiseman is out at BlackRock, where he was considered a possible successor to CEO Larry Fink, after engaging in a consensual affair with a subordinate without disclosing it to the company.
This seems pretty simple:
• Tea leaves: Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky, plus his two co-founders, have agreed to an on-stage interview at the Code Conference, which takes place late next May.
• On the docket: Laurence Allen, CEO of PE secondaries trading platform NYPPEX, was sued yesterday by the NY AG for alleged fraud. In short, he's accused of stealing investor capital.
🎧 Pro Rata Podcast digs into USMCA. What's in it, what might be added, what might be removed, and why Mexico is beginning to balk. Listen here.
Illustration: Aïda Amer/Axios
General Motors and South Korea's LG Chem each will invest $1.15 billion into a new joint venture to mass-produce battery cells for electric vehicles.
• Vroom, a New York-based platform for buying and selling used vehicles, raised $254 million in Series H funding. Durable Capital Partners led, and was joined by T Rowe Price and L Catterton. http://axios.link/rsWI
🚑 Black Diamond Therapeutics, a Cambridge, Mass.-based cancer precision medicine company, raised $85 million in Series C funding led by Boxer Capital. http://axios.link/TKBW
• Wildlife Studios, a San Francisco-based mobile gaming studios whose titles include Zooba, raised $60 million in Series A funding. Benchmark led, and was joined by Bessemer Venture Partners. http://axios.link/kkpJ
🚑 Akoyo Biosciences, a Menlo Park-based spatial biology startup, raised $50 million in Series D funding. Piper Jaffray Merchant Banking led, and was joined by Telegraph Hill Partners, Agilent Technologies, and Innovatus Capital Partners. http://axios.link/EuEC
• Ogury, a London-based mobile marketing engine, raised $50 million led by Idinvest Partners. http://axios.link/nETx
• Cyberhaven, a Palo Alto-based cybersecurity startup focused on data behavior analytics, raised $13 million in Series A funding co-led by Vertex Ventures and Costanoa Ventures. http://axios.link/bJXj
• Nutrati, a Richmond-based plant-based food company, raised $12.7 million in Series C funding. Manna Tree Partners led, and was joined by Open Prairie. http://axios.link/btNo
😁 Uniform Teeth, a San Francisco-based teeth straightening startup, raised $10 million in Series A funding led by Canaan Partners. http://axios.link/EcKl
• Brideside, a Chicago-based wedding and bridesmaid dress e-tailer, raised $7 million in Series A funding. Beringea led, and was joined by Sawdust Ventures. http://axios.link/aO7R
🚑 Apostrophe, an Oakland-based dermatology telemedicine startup, raised $6 million in seed funding. SignalFire led, and was joined by FJ Labs. http://axios.link/dDuf
• Workona, a San Mateo, Calif.-based cloud work management platform, raised $6 million in seed funding from K9 Ventures and August Capital. http://axios.link/DY9u
• Boardable, an Indianapolis-based management platform for nonprofit boards of directors, raised $3 million in seed funding from High Alpha Capital, VisionTech, and Collina Ventures. http://axios.link/az1N
• RaySecur, a Cambridge, Mass.-based developer of mailroom security scanners, raised $3 million in seed funding led by One Way Ventures. http://axios.link/JI0u
• The Blackstone Group, Brookfield Asset Management, and Greystar Real Estate Partners each are expected to bid for iQ Student Accommodation, a British student housing provider owned by Wellcome Trust that could fetch around £4 billion, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/svuH
• Midwest Composite Technologies, a Heartland, Wis.-based portfolio company of Core Industrial Partners, acquired Toledo, Ohio-based digital manufacturer ICOMold. www.midwestcomposite.com
• One World Fitness, a Centre Partners portfolio company that owns Planet Fitness clubs in the Philadelphia and New Jersey markets, acquired San Diego Fitness.
• Wind Point Partners invested in Tropicale Foods, an Ontario, Calif.-based maker of frozen novelty products under the Helados Mexico brand. www.heladosmexico.com
• The Gores Group is setting up its fourth SPAC, with plans to raise $400 million via an IPO. The Los Angeles-based private equity firm's past SPACs have bought such companies as Hostess Brands and Verra Mobility.
• Sanlorenzo, an Italian luxury yacht maker, raised €72 million in a Milan IPO at a market cap of €552 million. http://axios.link/OE1y
🚑 Lion Capital is seeking a buyer for Perricone MD, a San Francisco-based anti-aging skincare brand that could fetch over $200 million, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/uSiI
• Oakley Capital hired Arma Partners to find a buyer for WebPros, a Swiss webhosting software company that could fetch between $1.2 billion and $1.5 billion, per Reuters. http://axios.link/PqA3
• iDreamSky (HK: 1119), in which Tencent has nearly a 20% stake, is in talks to buy rival Chinese gaming company Leyou (HK: 1089) for around $1.4 billion, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/0tNz
• Phoenix Group Holdings (LSE: PHNX) agreed to buy the British business of Swiss Re (SWX: SREN) for around $4.1 billion in cash and stock. http://axios.link/x4K6
⛽ PKN Orlen, Poland’s state-owned oil refiner, will take over state electric utility Energa. http://axios.link/ryPT
• UBS Group’s asset management arm is considering a sale of its ETF and mutual fund platform, which could be worth over $500 million, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/PaIw
🚑 Kaiser Permanente Ventures raised $141 million for its fifth fund. LPs include parent company Kaiser Permanente, Tufts Health Plan, Henry Ford Health System, and Highmark Health. http://axios.link/qx3g
🚑 Isaac Ciechanover joined Polaris Partners as a San Francisco-based partner focused on healthcare. He previously founded and led Atara Biotherapeutics (Nasdaq: ATRA). www.polarispartners.com
Per Axios' Courtenay Brown:
🙏 Thanks for reading Axios Pro Rata. Please ask your friends, colleagues, and Lordstown Red Devils to sign up.