Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up here.
Was this email forwarded to you? Sign up here.
Draper Fisher Jurvetson, one of Silicon Valley's oldest venture capital firms, is changing its name to Threshold Ventures, Axios has learned. Limited partners were informed last night via email.
• Speaking of new names: Acme Capital will be the new name of Sherpa Capital, according to an email sent out by Acme/Sherpa co-founder Scott Stanford to firm friends and investors. No formal announcement is expected, perhaps at least until a new fund is raised later this year.
• I really shouldn't have to say this, but... I do not have any exposure (long or short) to XRP, Ripple or to any cryptocurrency. Not even a single sliver of bitcoin. This won't satisfy the Twitter trolls who are currently wreaking havoc on my timeline, but just wanted it on the record for you, dear readers.
• Breaking: Fiserv (Nasdaq: FISV) has agreed to buy payment processor First Data (NYSE: FDC) for $22 billion in stock.
🎧 Podcast: On our latest episode I chat with NY Times reporter Erin Griffith, about her recent piece on startup founders who are shunning venture capital. Listen here.
Eddie Lampert won a bankruptcy auction for Sears, via a sweetened $5.2 billion bid that would prevent the troubled retailer from closing and liquidating its remaining stores. Reuters was first with the news.
• Veeam, a Swiss provider of data backup solutions, raised $500 million from Insight Venture Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board. http://axios.link/9u03
• Knock, a New York-based home trade-in platform (i.e., rival to OpenDoor), raised $400 million in Series B funding. Foundry Group led, and was joined by return backers RRE Ventures, Corazon Capital, WTI and FJ Labs. http://axios.link/fsEw
• Outdoorsy, an Airbnb-style service for recreational vehicles, raised $50 million in Series C funding. Greenspring Associates led, and was joined by return backers Aviva Ventures, Altos Ventures, AutoTech Ventures and Tandem Capital. http://axios.link/Ii2y
• Bringg, an Israeli enterprise delivery logistics platform, raised $25 million in Series C funding. Next47 was joined by return backers Salesforce Ventures, Aleph VC, OG Ventures, Cambridge Capital, Coca-Cola, Ituran and Pereg Ventures. http://axios.link/q3hi
• Bold Commerce, a Winnipeg-based provider of e-commerce solutions for brands, raised C$22 million in Series A funding from Whitecap Venture Partners and Round13 Capital. www.boldcommerce.com
• Sonari Security, a New York-based provider of cloud data control solutions, raised $18.5 million in Series A funding. Polaris Partners and TenEleven Ventures co-led, and were joined by the New Brunswick Innovation Foundation. http://axios.link/6ZaM
🚑 Ciitizen, a Redwood City, Calif.-based platform to help patients collect and share medical records, raised $17 million in Series A funding. Andreessen Horowitz led, and was joined by Section32 and Verily. www.ciitizen.com
• Isotropic Systems, a London-based provider of satellite terminal solutions, raised $14 million in Series A funding. Boeing HorizonX Ventures led, and was joined by WML, Space Angels and Space Capital. www.isotropicsystems.com
• Bond-Pro, a Tampa, Fla.-based provider of surety insurance software, raised $10 million led by Volition Capital. http://axios.link/K9Aw
• AccessPay, a UK-based corporate payment management platform, raised £9 million. Beringea led, and was joined by True Ventures and Route 66 Ventures. http://axios.link/hT3w
• Chooze, a Boulder, Colo.-based maker of LucidMood-branded cannabis products, raised $4 million from Gotham Green Partners. www.lucidmood.net
• ESW Capital acquired SLI Systems, a New Zealand-based provider of software for converting online shoppers into buyers. It’s a take-private buyout, as SLI had been listed in New Zealand. http://axios.link/IZaM
• Farallon Capital Management is nearing a deal to acquire a control stake in Brazilian toll road operator Odebrecht for around $404 million, per Valor Economico. http://axios.link/iqSN
General Atlantic agreed to buy a minority stake in Powercloud, a German energy software company. http://axios.link/u0OE
• iSolved HCM, a Charlotte-based portfolio company of Accel-KKR, agreed to buy the U.S. payroll outsourcing unit of Sage Group (LSE: SGE) for around $100 million. http://axios.link/IAEx
• Therma Holdings, a San Jose, Calif.-based portfolio company of Gemspring Holdings, acquired Yearout Mechanical, an Albuquerque-based provider of mechanical, fabrication and maintenance services. www.therma.com
• TowerCo, a Cary, N.C.-based developer and manager of wireless tower infrastructure, raised $300 million in equity funding from Peppertree Capital Management. www.towerco.com
• CM Group, an Australian email marketing group, has acquired email marketer Sailthru and email personalization startup Liveclicker. CM raised $250 million from Insight Venture Partners and Accel in 2014, while Sailthru had raised just under $50 million from firms like Scale Venture Partners, Benchmark and RRE Ventures. http://axios.link/fdC5
• Salesforce (NYSE: CRM) is in talks to buy Israeli workforce management software provider ClickSoftware from Francisco Partners for around $1.5 billion, per Calcalist. http://axios.link/tcgJ
• Amazon Web Services, a unit of Amazon (Nasdaq: AMZN) acquired TSO Logic, a Vancouver-based startup aimed at maximizing cloud resource efficiency. http://axios.link/ug38
• DSV, a Copenhagen-listed freight transport company, has offered to buy Swiss-listed rival Panalpina for $4.1 billion. http://axios.link/9paZ
👞 Payless ShoeSource hired investment bank PJ Solomon to explore strategic options, including a possible sale, just 17 months after exiting bankruptcy, per Reuters. Current owners include Alden Global Capital. http://axios.link/jAxf
• The Blackstone Group is nearing a $20 billion final close on its latest real estate private equity fund, per Bloomberg. http://axios.link/e4eP
• Maverick Ventures, the San Francisco-based VC arm of hedge fund Maverick Capital, raised $382 million for an evergreen fund. www.maverickventures.com
• Warren Equity Partners, a Jacksonville, Fla.-based lower middle-market private equity firm, raised $310 million for its second fund. www.warrenequity.com
• Seung Lee, a former Morgan Stanley banker, joined SoftBank Ventures Asia as CFO. http://axios.link/nOx9
• Madrona Venture Group promoted Hope Cochran to managing director. It also promoted Troy Cichos to COO and partner and Jennifer Chambers to administrative partner. www.madrona.com
• Austin McChord, founder of data protection company Datto, is joining VC firm General Catalyst as a venture partner. www.generalcatalyst.com
• SK Capital Partners, a private equity firm focused on the specialty materials, chemicals and pharma sectors, promoted Barry Penney to managing director. www.skcapitalpartners.com