Monday greetings from the home office. Shorter edition today, as I'm dealing with the aftermath of E fracturing her foot by doing gymnastics into a dresser. Pro tip: Don't do that.
"Top of the Morning" will return tomorrow...
Kayco of Brooklyn agreed to buy rival U.S. kosher food company Manischewitz for an undisclosed amount.
• Fever, a Madrid and London-based social event discovery platform, raised $35 million. Rakuten Group led, and was joined by Atresmedia, Accel and Michael Zeisser. http://axios.link/XcPx
• SmartNews, a Tokyo-based news aggregation app, raised $28 million in Series E funding at a $1.1 billion post-money valuation. Japan Post Capital led and was joined by return backers Development Bank of Japan, SMBC Venture Capital and Japan Co-Invest. http://axios.link/AXvS
🚑 Lucira Health, an Emeryville, Calif.-based developer of non-instrument molecular infectious disease testing products, raised $15 million in Series B funding. Seraph Group led, and was joined by Eclipse Ventures, DCVC, YC and Sunstone Management. http://axios.link/2c20
🚑 Hello Heart, a blood pressure lowering app, raised $12 million in Series B funding led by Khosla Ventures. http://axios.link/wedy
• Romeo Systems, a Vernon, Calif.-based developer of power systems for electric vehicles, raised $4 million from HG Ventures. http://axios.link/p3i6
• Apax Partners agreed to buy a majority stake in German portable toilet maker ADCO. No financial terms were disclosed, but prior reporting said the deal could value ADCO at upwards of €800 million.
• Cobham (LSE: COB), a British defense and aerospace group, said it would solicit other takeover offers after its £4 billion agreement with Advent International was criticized by Cobham’s largest shareholder. http://axios.link/1IrC
• Highlander Partners bought Evans Food Group, a Chicago-based pork rinds maker, from Wind Point Partners.
• Mill Rock Capital, an affiliate of Stellex Capital Management, is supporting the merger of U.S. metal recyclers Venture Metals/SI Metallics with Versatile Processing Group. www.venturemetalsinc.com
• Pamplona Capital Management agreed to buy Loparex, a Dutch maker of silicone release liners, from Intermediate Capital Group.
• Shermco Industries, an Irving, Texas-based portfolio company of Gryphon Investors, acquired Southwest Energy Systems, a Phoenix-based provider of third-party electrical testing and engineering services for commercial electrical systems. www.shermco.com
• Five companies plan to go public on U.S. exchanges this week: AMTD International, InMode, WiMi Hologram Cloud, and Flux Power. http://axios.link/JYdB
• Reliance Industries, the Indian conglomerate, agreed to buy an 87.6% stake in Fynd, an Indian startup that helps physical retailers sell online, for around $42 million. Fynd had raised VC funding firms like CapitalG and IIFL Seed Ventures. http://axios.link/9Nba
⛽ Air Products (NYSE: APD) completed its previously-announced purchase of GE Power’s gasification business. www.airproducts.com
• Didi Chuxing, the Chinese ride-hail giant, today spun its autonomous driving unit out into an independent company. http://axios.link/B6nJ
• Elliott Management is urging German classifieds company Scout24 to sell its car listings unit and increase share buybacks. Earlier this year, The Blackstone Group and Hellman & Friedman failed to get Scout24 shareholder approval for a proposed €4.9 billion takeover. http://axios.link/7z7G
• Fox Corp. (Nasdaq: FOXA) agreed to buy San Francisco-based online finance broker Credible Labs (ASX: CRD) for US$397 million. http://axios.link/otJJ
• ReAssure, the UK-based affiliate of reinsurer Swiss Re, agreed to buy the life insurance and pensions unit of Quilter (LSE: QLT) for £425 million. http://axios.link/5TPD
• Takeaway (Amsterdam: TKWY) agreed to but fellow food delivery company Just Eat (LSE: JE) in an all-stock deal that values Just Eat at nearly £5 billion. http://axios.link/XN0f
• David Thomson, a Canadian billionaire, agreed to buy a 15% stake in Argentinian digital bank Brubank. http://axios.link/nXty
⛽ Total SA (Paris: FP) agreed to sell a 30% stake in the French pipeline network Tapil to crude oil storage company Pisto SAS for €260 million. http://axios.link/QZE0
• John Flint stepped down as CEO of European lender HSBC, after less than two years on the job. http://axios.link/0Nkd
• Jenny Lee joined SoftBank Vision Fund as head of U.S. talent acquisition, per her LinkedIn page. She previously was a senior talent partner with Citadel.
• Paul Seitz joined Monroe Capital as a San Francisco-based vice president, per his LinkedIn page. He previously was a VP with TriplePoint Capital.
Bitcoin (and gold) prices have soared as hopes for a U.S.-China trade deal have diminished, particularly this morning with news that the yuan "broke 7."
🙏 Thanks for reading Axios Pro Rata. Please ask your friends, colleagues, and currency manipulators to sign up here.