"Do you know what happened at Zoox?"
I got that question from nearly a dozen VCs last night, after it was reported that the self-driving unicorn's co-founder and CEO Tim Kentley-Klay had been fired.
So I reached out to a different dozen people to ask: "Do you know what happened at Zoox?" Here's what I learned, from sources who declined to give names due to fears that this situation could turn litigious:
• Trump to Fox News: “If I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash. I think everybody would be very poor."
• Don't call it a comeback: Online lender Upgrade, which is led by former LendingClub CEO Renaud Laplanche, this morning said that it raised $62 million in Series C funding led by the VC affiliate of China's CreditEase. No valuation was disclosed, but I hear the pre-money was around $500 million.
📣 Pro Rata Podcast: Yesterday we got political, discussing the Cohen and Manafort fallout (i.e., what it means for Trump's broader agenda) with Axios CEO Jim VandeHei. Listen via Apple, Google Play or stream direct at Axios.
Illustration: Sarah Grillo/Axios
Saudi Arabia appears to have indefinitely delayed its planned IPO for state oil company Aramco. Reuters was first to report, with a source later telling Axios: "It has been officially dead for a month or so — everyone got sent home for Ramadan and of course Eid just broke, but no one was invited back."
• Latch, a New York-based maker of “smart access systems” for multifamily buildings, raised $70 million in Series B funding. Brookfield Ventures led, and was joined by Lux Capital, RRE Ventures, Primary Venture Partners, Third Prime, Camber Creek, Corigin Ventures, Tishman Speyer and Balyasny Asset Management. http://axios.link/HLyp
• CassTime Technologies, a Chinese B2B platform for auto parts and accessories, raised $36 million in Series B3 funding. Mangrove Bay Capital led, and was joined by Shanghe Capital and return backers Fosun RZ Capital and Shunwei Capital. http://axios.link/OrdQ
• Semmle, a UK-based startup that helps developers search within code for vulnerabilities, raised $21 million in Series B funding led by return backer Accel. http://axios.link/9twx
• Robin Systems, a San Jose, Calif.-based Kubernetes implementation platform, raised $17 million in Series B funding. USAA Ventures led, and was joined by Hasso Plattner Ventures, Clear Ventures and DN Capital. http://axios.link/tfls
• KoinWorks, an Indonesian P2P lending platform, raised $16.5 million in Series A funding. Bank Mandiri led, and was joined by Gunung Sewu and Convergence Ventures. http://axios.link/jlxr
• Revv, an Indian on-demand car rental startup, raised $14.3 million in Series B funding from Hyundai, Dream Incubator, Telama Investment and return backers Edelweiss and Beenext. http://axios.link/IUfX
• Homelike, a German marketplace for long-term business apartment rentals, raised $14 million. Spark Capital led, and was joined by return backers Cherry Ventures, Lürssen and Coparion. http://axios.link/U6nt
• Simple Feast, a Denmark-based meal delivery startup focused on meat-free product in biodegradable boxes, raised $12 million in Series A funding. Balderton Capital led and was joined by 14W and return backers Sweet Capital and ByFounders. http://axios.link/IS7a
🚑 ApoGen Biotech, a Seattle-based startup focused on drug resistance by cancer cells, raised $4 million in new Series A funding led by the VC arm of Germany’s Merck (bringing the round total to $11m). www.apogenbiotech.com
• Knewton, a New York-based maker of adaptive learnings products, raised $5 million in new equity funding from return backers Accel, Atomico, Bessemer Venture Partners, FirstMark Capital, First Round Capital, Founders Fund and Sofina. It also secured a $20 million debt facility from TriplePoint Capital. www.knewton.com
🌼The Sill, a New York-based online and offline seller of potted plants, raised $5 million in Series A funding led by Raine Ventures. http://axios.link/awUU
• Bandura Systems, a Lake St. Louis, Mo.-based cyberthreat intelligence startup, raised $4 million in Series A funding from Grotech Ventures, Gula Tech Adventures, Cultivation Capital and the Maryland Venture Fund. http://axios.link/2hcj
• Alion, a MacLean, Va.-based portfolio company of Veritas Capital, completed its previously-announced purchase of MacB, a Dayton, Ohio-based provider of engineering and tech solutions to the national defense and intelligence communities. http://axios.link/dtTq
• Clayton, Dubilier & Rice agreed to buy PowerTeam, a Plymouth, Mich.-based provider of maintenance and construction services to the U.S. utility industries, from Kelso & Co. www.powerteamservices.com
• KKR is in talks to buy Magneti Marelli, the car parts unit of Fiat Chrysler, per Bloomberg. If successful, KKR would merge the business with Japanese portfolio company Calsonic Kansei. http://axios.link/EBPU
🚑 Mediware Information Systems, a Lenexa, Kan.-based portfolio company of TPG, acquired Rock-Pond Solutions, a Conway, Ark.-based provider of business intelligence and analytics software to the home infusion, infusion, home medical equipment and specialty pharmacy markets. http://axios.link/tl1k
• Exeter Finance, an Irving, Texas-based subprime auto lender owned by The Blackstone Group, hired investment banks to explore an IPO or possible sale, per Reuters. http://axios.link/L08f
• Daimler is in talks to buy around a 20% stake in Heycar, a German used car marketplace, from Volkswagen. http://axios.link/l4jN
• UK antitrust officials have launched a formal investigation into the proposed $10 billion merger of Sainsbury’s with Walmart’s Asda, which would create the UK’s largest supermarket operator. http://axios.link/EswO
Thanks for reading. If this was forwarded to you, please subscribe at GetProRata.axios.com.